My MIL have been helping me out as I am doing my confinement now, however, at times it can be overbearing especially at night when baby is cranky after his midnight feed. As of today, baby is 18 days old. One problem about her is every time baby cries, be it in his sleep or crying for milk, she will barge in every single time and kept on opening the door to check every 10-15 minutes. it was fine to me,I was glad that at least someone is helping as husband is tired after a long day. Two nights ago baby had slight fever, so i told her baby will be cranky and will be needing his feed every hour cause he drinks very little, and I will b up taking care but if I need help I will let her know. however, she still keep checking and opening the door, I understand her concern of worrying that baby's cries will wake everyone up, but me as a mother, would want to comfort my child and be there for him instead of her coming in and insist on taking him away. The next day, she complain to my husband that I seem like I don't want to let go of baby, even after I explained that it because he was not well. now the husband thinks that I am on the road to post natal depression. how do I juggle a better time management between MIL & myself?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Actually my mil thinks that both Me and my husband are incapable of taking care of baby being new parents, not only that, she thinks that we dont know how to read what baby wants whenever he cries. In her mind we are stupid a**, well, actually she did say those words. Even to my baby, she said 'your parents are stupid' Every time I mention something about baby's behaving normally and need not over worry, like hiccups, she will get offended, and complain that I don't know what I am talking. I know my husband will suffer being in between. She will expect my husband to convey her message to me and wants me to follow her 'gospel truth'. but surely, me as the mother of my child have the right to accept or reject isn't it?

Read more
3y ago

*he is only a few weeks

Sounds like a tricky situation but it is nice to read that both your mother-in-law and hubby are looking out for you. :) What I would suggest is that you could try and get some rest at night during this confinement period. In the daytime, attend to your baby for feeding and helping with showering. Perhaps you can let your MIL attend to the baby fully during the night and get her to rest in the day. This way, you will still get to tend to your baby while your MIL may feel better fussing over him at night. Not sure if this arrangement would work for you. Just a suggestion for you to consider. Take care of yourself and get as much rest as you can while there are people helping you. :) Take care mummy!

Read more

I feel your baby needs you even more when he is sick. Follow your motherly instincts and Just hold on to him so he can recover faster and tell your husband and mil not to worry. If anything, you'll let them know. I think they're just being overly-cautious. I'm of the position to handle your sick child yourself because my husband and I took care of our firstborn without our in-laws and confinement nanny. We just managed our expectations. Wishing you and your baby a speedy recovery!

Read more

U will just have to bear with this. Everything will be over soon. Coz of hormones everything goes haywire. At least ur mil is a lot better. I need to clean up her mess as she drops food all over the floor plus she didnt off the gas after she cooks (cook for herself) and i need to clean up her mess during my confinement. If you think that u can well handle on ur own. By all means do it urself and not depend on ur mil.that might make you mood worst off

Read more

You are lucky your MIL even bothered to help u. I had none. Nothing. DIY confinement plus had to care for older child and she even complained and bad mouth about the way I tk cr of my kids, house messy etc. Worse before I gave birth I told her if she would help me with my confinement she agreed. I paid her and she never turned up. No presents for my baby either. My hubby was really disappointed.

Read more
8y ago

of course I appreciate her every help, and will consider myself lucky. not the luckiest but definitely luckier than some. Having said that, just to let you know my MIL help out in washing clothes. I cook my own lunch band dinner because she don't know how to do confinement, so, no confinement food, but I am OK with that. i wash up after every pump and feeding session, i stay up and care for baby 24/7. I probably have 3-4 hours sleep, if I am lucky. I bathe baby on my own, no one taught me, I j

Talk to your husband. And he just have to really understand and suck it up. It happen to myself. As a husband aspect of things is got to assure the mother that you both are managing And you have to thank your mil for coming to help out. It is important.

Read more
8y ago

of course I do appreciate her every help except for her adding 'salt and pepper' to whatever she is saying in front of my husband that caused any unhappiness. I used to read about how difficult it is to live with in laws and laugh bout it until it happened to me. my husband is in between and I am sure that is not a good feeling being stuck. I feel horrible too, being called 'stupid' because I don't agree with her way of looking after or the lack of baby knowledge. these are just tip of the ic

Well, better not stay with mil... My is mil and fil came in tgt