Mil always talk broken English mixed with Chinese with my lo !! Feel so irritating .. this is the age when they learn and keep talk broken English to her. I dunno what to do. Hub also didn't say anything ! Argh !!!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Y r u blaming your MIL for what. Its nt her fault. Gradually as e child grow older, they know e right phrases. Look at those grand parents who never go school and study. Still communicate with e child. My mother doesnt know how to speak english. I still go school and did well. Whats wrong with that. Sorrie to say. This is Singapore, we adult are the one who speaks Singlish; definately e childs with this generation will pick up, let e kids enjoy their life. As a parent pls dont stressed them.

Read more
7y ago

If the person do not know how to speak well in that language , shouldn't he or she jus speak the language they r good at? 😕 who knows they pick the words fast.

Whenever I hear someone using wrong English with my kids, I will rephrase that person's words, and then repeat it correctly to my kids. So far, my kids understand and is able to replicate my proper use of language. I don't expect that person to correct him/herself (may be a force of habit after all). This way, I don't have to offend anyone, and the kids can still understand. And who knows, that person may eventually learn from you too!

Read more

Dear, ask your mil to speak in manadarin and you in english. In that way baby can practice both languages. Nowadays many people font speak their second language as there is no practise and many kids face the same problem with their second language.

7y ago

I also dunno how to tell her. Hai I told my hub to tell her

I will tell her to speak only mandarin or correct her English on the spot

Just ask Mum in law to only speak in Mandarin in that case

thanks