Many of my girlfriends have shared that their water did not break, but was broken by the Obs when already at hospital. What was your experience?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had a bloody show (mucous plug) and 8-10mins contraction interval before heading to hospital. My water did not break itself but was broken by gynae at hospital. I remember when I was about 9-10cm dilated, doctor used a stick to rupture my water bag and after the water bag was broken, the pain getting even more intense and had a strong urge to push. If your gynae believes the amniotic sac should be opened during active labor — when your cervix is at least partially dilated and the baby's head is deep in your pelvis — he or she might use a technique known as an amniotomy to rupture the membranes. During the amniotomy, a thin plastic hook is used to make a small opening in the amniotic sac. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/labor-and-delivery/in-depth/water-breaking/art-20044142?pg=2 Rupture of membranes: Your water breaks! Only 1 in 10 woman experience a dramatic gush of amniotic fluid. This event usually happens at home, often when you are in bed. Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish the urine from amniotic fluid. If your membranes have ruptured and you are leaking amniotic fluid, it will be an odorless fluid. The discharge can be a sudden gush or a constant trickle. http://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/signs-of-labor/

Read more

I was induced at 39+ weeks, 2 days shy of the 40th week. It was really uncomfortable when the doctor ruptured it, but I don't remember having any pain. Maybe I could feel a little contractions but nothing over bearing that made me wanna scream. This was #2 pregnancy. #1 was also induced because she was 1 week past her due date. I often joke that it's because she didn't want to share the same birthday as me. Anyways, for this pregnancy, the moment the doctor ruptured it, I felt immediate pain and the contractions was so so painful, I remembered cursing and swearing at anyone who tells me it's okay. I guess it differs from woman to woman and each pregnancy will be different from another.

Read more

Mine broke at home (while I was sitting on the floor, playing Monopoly with hubby!). Stood up, and felt a gush. Took my time to shower, grab a Snickers bar, drive to the hospital (which is a good half an hour from my home), and walked in feeling all good. Contractions only started 2 hours later... and the rest is history :)

Read more

thanks