Do pregnant women have the right to request to WFH?

I've been thinking if I should ask my boss if there's any possibility of letting me WFH 100% at least during my 1st trimester. However, my concern is that if I was allowed to WFH 100%, other colleagues will start asking. But I don't intend to let them know about my pregnancy until the 2nd trimester. Also, colleagues might find it unfair if I get to WFH 100% but they don't. Am I thinking too much when I should be thinking for myself too? Do we have the right to make such request?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hello, my sil actually requested for wfh on her 3rd trimester but her bosses turned down the request by saying that what if other staff find it unfair that they have to come to work during pregnancy or what if other staff starts requesting too.. my sil had no choice but to take HL combined with MC all the way til her ML

Read more
2y ago

is your sil vaccinated (with booster)? I have not taken my booster so HR placed me on no pay leave instead of wfh w.e.f 14 Feb 22.

You can request and ask ur boss not to disclose. For your colleagues, you can say you’ve been unwell and request to wfh for the time being. That’s what my colleague did last year when she was preg and often had fainting spells. We guessed but we’re sensitive enough not to ask and wait for her to disclose.

Read more
2y ago

I have a coworker who all the while kept finding fault with me recently interrogated me openly in front of my boss on why I keep going to doc’s appointment recently when the fact is I haven’t told anyone at all except for my boss. My boss let her be and kept quiet. Gives me a wake up call. :)

go request from your boss. do what u feel right for yourself i request wfh n my boss ignore me.. then my baby stop breath i txt my boss. only he reply me. i feel he don like me preg. i feel sad now as doc ask me rest more i shoud take mc n rest few days rather then ask to wfh.

Read more

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I decided to request to WFH 100% and my boss has agreed. I'm really thankful for that! Hope this gives other pregnant women out there the hope that it is possible. :) Never ask, never know!

2y ago

your boss is nice. he/she respect preg women :)

Hey yes it’s worth asking especially with the rising covid cases! Your boss should be understanding of your situation. If not, you can always write to your HR to seek advice

I asked my gyane to write a memo for me to WFH until delivery because the commute is quite long and I want to avoid risk of covid. He happily wrote it for me and my boss accepted!

2y ago

my gyne wrote but only 10days. i asked for gyne write till my 13th week.my boss dont seems happy when i request wfh due to covid still ard and i dont wan get 2nd time

For those of you who get permission to WFH 100%, is it throughout your pregnancy? If not, for how long do you get to do so?

I feel that WFH is not an entitlement. If your boss gives then it’s good. If never give we can’t complain much either

I would tink there isnt any wrong. I didnt request for wfh last yr but my bosses requested for me.

You can try after all you have a right..