Is it true that using the automatic swinging yao lan (sarong) can cause damage to the baby brain due to constant swinging motion?

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It could cause injury to your baby if he falls out of the hammock or internal brain bleeding from vigorous swaying. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/improper-use-of-child/2222398.html “One five-month-old baby fell out of a traditional sarong cradle after his mother left his side briefly. Even though the cradle was only half a metre from the ground, the baby suffered a serious head injury due to the greater momentum of falling from a springy cradle,” she said. Though cooling, it is not advisable for babies to sleep in as there is a higher SIDS risk. To minimise the possibility of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), do let your child sleep on a firm surface with just a fitted sheet. Instead of soft pillows, use a folded breathable muslin cloth and try out a baby sleeping bag in place of a blanket. http://ph.theasianparent.com/is-it-safe-for-your-baby-to-sleep-in-a-duyan/

Read more
Post reply image

If you are using automated ones, set the swinging to the lowest to minimise the motion. Generally, normal usage of automatic swinging will not affect their brain unless they falls out of the cradle mid swing. If you are using the traditional sarong cradle, it will be good to always keep an eye on baby and do not use it during night time as we are not so alert at night. My baby fell out from the cradle once and we never let him use it ever again as it is quite traumatic to us not just baby. We are not using the automated ones and lucky that we had put a mattress under the cradle to prevent such incidents.

Read more

Actually I was totally against it until week 6 when my boy was inconsolable. We gave in but of cos we do not rock vigorously . We also put a mattress below the hammock in case he falls. My boy is now 2.5 years old n he self weaned it by 1 years old. Zzz in it well n pple said his head shape is nice due to him sleeping in it though I'm not sure if it helps. Now with my second child, I put her in when she was week 3. She didn't like it. So it really depend on the baby. Anyway, we all grew up using this last time. I think as parents, we have the decency to know that it shouldn't be vigorously rocking...

Read more

My both kids used yaolan till 1 year old. We just rock it gently and stop rocking after baby has fall asleep. We took precautions such as placing a small mattress below the yaolan, put yaolan in living room where visible to everyone, and refrain from putting toys/pillow inside yaolan with baby. As long as there is supervision during the usage, you can prevent baby from falling out from yaolan. It will not cause brain damage if you rock it gently. I would recommend manual one instead.

Read more

If you wish to use Yao Lan for your baby's sleep, do consider these precautions: 1) Place a mattress under the yaolan so that if your baby falls, he will not hit the floor. 2) Always place the baby into the yaolan on his back and not the front. 3) Do not put any pillows, blankets or bedding in the yaolan to prevent any accidents of suffocation from happening. 4) As your baby grows, ensure that the yaolan is able to accommodate his growing height and weight

Read more

Not true. We hv been using the automated yaolan since 1 month old, always set to the lowest speed with timer or either 30mins or 60mins. By then when it stops, our baby would have fallen asleep. Very cooling and good ventilation to use it in the day, a good helper to let us keep our sanity in check as our baby is very happy to be in the yaolan & sleeps longer :)

Read more

I don't think it will cause damage to the baby's brain, but according to the physiotherapist in the neonatal ward, it's best not to put them in yao lan because it is not good for their spine. also if baby doesn't know how to turn his head yet and has a chin to chest position, he might choke on his spit up, causing death. there are such cases in news articles.

Read more

I'm using Yao Lan for my girl till she is age 3 when she know how to climb out from it. I did not just automatic Yao Lan. I did swing lightly to allow her to sleep deeply. She is perfectly fine. Just bear in mind even if you are not using Yao Lan, you also not advisable to swing her high up and down especially some elderly like to play with them.

Read more
VIP Member

My bros and I grew up with yaolan, and so does my two boys. As long as we do not shake too hard, it shldnt do any damage. And we do not use automated ones too. Only using the yaolan in the day time, slp in cot at night. This is also to 'inform' and train them that not always they will have yaolan, so they have to adapt to it.

Read more

sleeping in yaolan can helps in making the head shape rounder and nicer, and they will have a sense of secure of being hug from the shape where they were put in. sometimes when they are slightly awake they move and it will auto rock and LO will fall back to sleep again without me attending to him at nighttimes

Read more