Is it okay for you to have heavy cough in the first trimester of pregnancy?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It’s probably not a pregnancy-related condition. More likely, you have a viral or bacterial infection, or possibly something more serious like pneumonia. In severe cases — if you’ve also got chest pain or you’re spitting up blood — coughing could be a symptom of a pulmonary embolism (a blocked artery in the lungs), which is serious (and not totally out of the question, since pregnant women are more prone to blood clots). If you’ve been coughing for more than 10 days or if the cough is severe, then see a doctor. If your cough is accompanied by a green nasal discharge, it could be sinusitis or bronchitis, which will likely need medical treatment. It’s usually safe to treat a cough the same as you would if you weren’t pregnant. Cough drops, medicine, tea or warm liquids will help soothe your throat. But clear any meds with your OB before you take them.

Read more

Your immune system does not run at its usual best when you are pregnant because your immune system is busy protecting your developing baby. So it's perfectly normal to fall sick. Your body can't fight off colds as well as it normally does, making you more vulnerable than usual to the stuffy nose, coughs and sore throats. Eat healthy, drink lots of water, get ample rest and load up on vitamin-c laden foods -- to ward that cough and other flu symptoms away. If you need to take medication, best to check with your doctor which kinds are safe.

Read more

A cough is a reflex action to clear your airways of mucus and irritants, according to the NHS. It is usually caused by a viral infection and should clear up within two weeks, but if you have a persistent cough, you should see your doctor.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3375)

VIP Member

I don't get cough but i suffered with very bad flu i my first trimester pregnancy. I go to the doctor when home remedy didn't work. I believe my Obgyn prescripted me the safe medicine for me and my baby

thanks