Comments on baby from in-laws

My in-laws made so much comments on baby when we first visited. Instead of fawning over their grandchild, or asking how are we coping with a newborn, or checking how is my recovery, they just freely commented on baby in front of baby and us things like "the skin so dark", "looks like tomboy", "so skinny", "hair so little" etc. As a new mum, their unnecessary and unkind remarks on my precious baby made me upset and I seriously fear more on the next visits. Any good advice on how we can politely let them know we do mind such comments? I love my baby deeply, I feel defensive to hear these yet helpless because I dunno how to react. *No, ignoring their words is not helpful advice, a real solution is preferred, otherwise this will just be a continuous cycle and worsen my anxiety and stress level each time we visit them* *Update: Many have advised to ignore. We did that, and just as I have expected, these comments continued every time we meet. 🙄

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Congratulations on your new baby!! Alright, it seems that you still want an amicable relationship with your in-laws so the best way to handle is going through from your husband. Let him know that it hurts and hint to them not to say such things. If this long process doesn't work, then the next time you meet, you can tell them that you love your baby no matter what and hope they do too 🥰

Read more