I'm feeling so upset. I've been exclusively pumping for my preemie for 4 months while she is in NICU. My supply was great n I have stocked up a frozen stash. I latched her on or bottle feed her with EBM when she is back home. I realised my supply has been dipping and I've touched on my frozen stash already! This morning I latched her on at 2am and after she unlatch herself she was so fussy for about 2hours. I tried burping her, carrying her, patting her etc she seems unhappy. She vomitted abit and pooed. After I cleaned her up, it's already 4am and time for a next feed. I went to warm up my EBM and bottle fed her. She fell asleep very quickly. Makes me wonder... Is it she wasn't full when latched on? Please please please tell me an effective way to boost up my supply again!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, firstly i think it could be ok to be touching your stash. Depending on how u are freezing it the milk can only be kept abt 3-6 months but different websites say differently. On the other hand, the context of our bm will change as the baby grows older, so it is also good to be constantly using some of ur stash so that your stash's "meant for" age is not too diff from your baby. There could be a drop in supply because u are more tired now looking after baby on your own so its pretty normal. It could also be because baby is a small baby still so not very good at totally emptying the boobs so --- not so empty so not so much replenished supply. I suggest that after you latch baby, after 30 mins, u pump again. Take a variety and more of your milk boosters. Drink more water. Rest well - its hard but he husband of someone to help u at night too. I definitely had LO waking up a lot at night - sometimes its just like that. - could be nightmare, sleep regression, hungry, uncomfortable, looking for soother (want to suck nipple. - in this case u can give pacifier). Baby is very capable and smart, if they hungry, they will really suck and drink, but sometimes they are just suckling and not drinking

Read more

It could be that your supply isn't dropping at all. What you've described is normal growth spurt behaviour. If you continue to feed baby from your stash though, your supply will drop, so be careful. Babies get fussy from time to time, it's nothing to panic about. Unless you see less diaper output, or babies weight gain is seriously impacted, just keep on direct latching. This is the only real way of increasing your supply. Anything else will have a very minimum impact.

Read more