doctor said my baby is too large...

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. The doctor told me that my baby is measuring too big for the pregnancy age. This news has really got me worried, especially about the possibility of not being able to have a normal childbirth. I'm trying to stay positive, but it's hard not to let the fear and anxiety take over. I keep wondering if there's something I could have done differently or if there's something wrong. The idea of a complicated delivery or needing a C-section is really frightening to me. is it because i eat too much? is this all my faults?????????????

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy, I just delivered via c-section 2 weeks ago! Up until I was 36 weeks, I was preparing for an unmedicated vaginal birth, but my baby was breech and I had to ultimately get a c-section - so I hear how anxiety-provoking and worrying this process is! 🥺 First thing I did was to educate myself on facts about c-section, like what the process was like, how different was recovery etc. Having more knowledge can provide you with more certainty and ease your anxiety! I also looked up positive birth stories equally - or more than I did for negative ones. If you're worried about c-section recovery, just wanted to share that my delivery and recovery have been almost painless.. (except for if you sneeze, cough or laugh in the first week oops) I'd describe the discomfort as at most soreness and if anything, the recovery is just a little slower and more inconvenient as there are certain actions you are unable to do the first few days. I was actually able to go for both my gynae and paediatrician appointments on the same day as well as have lunch at the mall (5 hours+) by one week postpartum 🥹 Of course my experience shouldn't be taken as benchmark, but it is important to remind yourself that there are probably as many people out there who are having great c-section experiences and that you may not necessarily go through the worst-case scenario of a complicated or difficult delivery (this is what the anxiety is making you hyper-focus on!). If there's anything you'd like to know about the c-section process please feel free to ask! 🤍 you got this - remember to focus on what's safest for you and baby!

Read more

It's completely understandable to feel overwhelmed and anxious after receiving such news from your doctor. Please know that having a baby that is measuring larger than average for the pregnancy age is not necessarily because you have been eating too much or due to any faults on your part. There can be various reasons why a baby may measure larger, such as genetic factors, gestational diabetes, or simply the baby's growth pattern. It's important to follow your doctor's recommendations and guidance closely, as they will be able to monitor the situation and provide appropriate care. To address your concerns about the possibility of a complicated delivery or needing a C-section, it's best to have open and honest discussions with your healthcare provider. They can help you understand the situation better and work with you to develop a birth plan that prioritizes both your and your baby's health. Remember that every pregnancy is unique, and it's essential to focus on staying positive and taking care of yourself both physically and emotionally. Surround yourself with supportive individuals, and don't hesitate to seek professional help if you need additional support. Rest assured that you are not alone in feeling anxious about these uncertainties. Take one step at a time, trust in the medical team caring for you, and try to stay as calm and relaxed as possible for the well-being of both you and your baby. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Don't worry! I was in your shoes last year. Baby was predicted to be over 4kg but came out 3.7kg at 53cm. Still bigger than average but all was good. I had no GD so it could be a genetic thing cz my hubby is well over 1.8m. I opted for elective csect cz I had the same issue with my firstborn too, big baby. 2 elective csects but recovery were smooth for both. I cld easily have sex 2 months aft birth, no pain in the incision area aft a month of giving birth. Honestly, I'd rather go through elective csect than trying for natural birth with a big baby as there is an increased risk of complication esp if u are a small mommy. Typically the horror stories come from those who had emergency csect. my cousin had a big baby too, though he baby was still slightly smaller at 3.4kg, she insisted on trying for natural birth but somehow her birth canal was not big enough despite being fully dilated , she had a 3rd degree tear and baby inside alr had a drop in oxygen so she had to go thru emergency csect in the end. she was hospitalised for 2 mths aft birth due to a painful recovery

Read more

Heya, mind sharing how "large" is your baby? it is rare that a baby is too "large" to be birthed, (you may have a more difficult birth - more and harder pushing, but not to the extent of not being able to have a normal childbirth). did you get a second opinion? try going to public hospitals and get their opinions - private hospital doctors when baby is a little larger than normal they will try to push for c section (due to them being more in control of the situation, and they can schedule their time, and maybe earn more at the same time). Also I suspect that baby is only "large" compared to other babies at the same weeks and may be due to other factors like errors in ultrasound measurement. You may have more fluid or baby is positioned in a way that makes him "larger". if you are not at the late stages of pregnancy, you don't have to worry too much yet, just eat healthily and wait for more checks to be done before getting too anxious! anyway, jiayou mummy!

Read more

Don't worry mummy! Baby's weight could be due to genetics, which is something we cannot control. Another reason for large babies could be gestational diabetes. At 32 weeks, my baby was 2.9kg. My baby was scanned at 35 weeks, and sonographer predicted weight at birth (40 weeks) was going to be 4.3kg due to the size and weight. But baby came out at 38+4 at only 3.23kg. So whatever weight you're seeing now is just an estimation. I was panicking a bit like you, so I did what I could to make baby come out earlier bcos I didn't want csect.

Read more

I had 3cs. mainly my 1st cervix don't want to open and waited so long from 8am to 4pm and decided C after the wait. baby weight 4+ but came out only 3.8. 2nd baby is less then a year. while 3rd baby after 6 years still big baby I go for c. now my 4th. probably a C again. I don't want waste $ on both normal n c charges like my 1st. don't be scared U can do it !

Read more

If c sect is scary to you, I’m a c sect mom, just to share that the process is quick, smooth and almost painless. The walking on next day is a real challenge but manageable with the help of painkillers. My recovery had no big issue too, and I’m not that young, and I didn’t do anything special about it. Hope it helps to ease a bit of your worries.

Read more

Hi mummy. Doctor also said that my baby is measuring large. Head and body is on the 99th percentile. I don’t have GD so doctor said it could be genetics. But she did say to just control carbs and sugar intake. Don’t worry too much hopefully all will go well. How many weeks are you now?

Doc also said my bb is big. 1.4kg at 28 weeks. I am tall at 1.7m.. Doc advised cut down on carbs ice cream durian chocolate

Hi, how many weeks are you and what did your gynae advise? You prob can control your diet if it’s still early.