I'm breastfeeding my 6months old baby. Recently I'm been 'addicted' to teh halia (ginger milk tea). Will it cause an effect to my breastmilk or baby?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

1 cup a day is ok. Mothers who need their caffeine fix will take 1-2 cups of normal strength coffee. But caffeine is a milk killer for some pple so go easy on it. Make sure u drink lots and lots of water as caffeine is also a diuretic. If it does cause ur baby to have adverse reaction then u can just go ahead and drink

Read more

Not advisable to drink too much tea or drinks with caffine. Tea has caffine. Caffine can cause baby to be unsettled, restless and even a bloated tummy. With moderation its okay to enjoy your little cup of teh halia. :)

8y ago

I drink a cup a day.. is it ok?

A cup a day is fine. As long as you don't think your baby is having any discomfort. If you're concern, then maybe you can drink after you breastfeed so the caffeine can sort of "wear off" before your next feed :)

No much effects except the caffeine may be passed to baby. Tea may decrease milk flow if taken excessively. Excessive tea intake can have laxative effect as well.