If your helper breaks expensive stuff is it fair to deduct their salary? The helper broke a $2000 vase which I said to be careful

40 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i won't ! As already they don't earn much and deducting salaries may turn them harsh against you, they may opt for stealing from you, harming you, etc.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your vase. I hate to disagree with majority here but I'd have to. I believe in consequences and yes I do have a heart too.

8y ago

How awful. Talking such a huge amount from such a tiny, tiny income and keeping the money as a ransom! Its a vase for heavens sake. Accidents happen. What would you do if the child broke it, take away 20% of their food until they proved that they'd never break anything every again?!

Accidents happen, and as long as it's not malicious, we should not punish her for it. Tell her to be more careful and give her a second chance.

I wouldn't be too harsh by deducting her salary, but I would talk to her and let her know that she should be careful next time.

No way, you can not deduct her salary. You should have insurance on expensive household items like this.

VIP Member

I wouldn't. But it depends from person to person. If you broke it would you punish yourself? or even your child?

Stuff happens. I'm sure you wouldn't feel it's fair if your employer deducted your salary for ruining a deal.

It's against MOM law to deduct from their salary :(

thanks

absolutely NO, even intentionally.