If your 3 yr old tells you there's a monster in their room early in the day, do you dismiss what they're seeing or feed into it asking them to describe what it is they saw?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes I will take this seriously and never ignore the fear feeling. You can ask her why, where, how they see the monster. There is a good trick where you get a "monster spray" and put near to them. It is just a spray bottle consists of water for the kid to spray whenever he feels scared. In addition, what I do for my kid is to pray with her before bedtime and assure her that Jesus will be by her side when she is sleeping and protect her. I taught her a hymn so she will sing it whenever she feel scared. If all the above methods failed, I will sleep with her until she has settled down.

Read more
VIP Member

Don't dismiss their fears! It may seem silly to us, but to them, it is a real fear. Perhaps you could go into the room together with him to see where the Monster is hiding. Once when I was in Primary school, there was a rumour about ghosts lurking in the eco-garden. Our lovely Principal was a kindly old gentleman who rallied us and took us on a walk through the eco-garden to make sure there were no (more) ghosts.

Read more

Children (and adults) need to feel they are validated. So I'd say ask about what they saw and don't make any judgements. Go as far as inspecting their room and even banishing any evil dwellers. Do what you can to make them feel comfortable, and remember that children in all stages fear different things -- it's normal.

Read more

thanks