Unused milk

If I take bm from the fridge (not frozen or thawed) and warm up for baby to drink, but the baby doesn’t finish the milk, can I put back the unused milk in the fridge for the next feed? Or must strictly discard?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I wouldn’t recommend putting it back. Higher risk of bacterial growth. I would cap the bottle and leave it at room temperature for an hour. If baby feeds again within that time, then I will use that bottle. I also roughly know how much baby drinks, so I divide my bm into suitable volume portions to minimise wastage:)

Read more
VIP Member

Usually if within an hour I will put back into the fridge and top up for next feed. Some say can some say cannot. So I guess it is up to u to decide. But I will only reheat the bm once. If second time baby still cannot finish den I will discard..

I did put it back in the fridge and warm it up for the next feed. I would offer baby and finish that up first and then continue with another bottle.

VIP Member

I wouldn't recommend putting it back into the fridge as there's bacteria in saliva which gets transferred to the unfinished milk.

VIP Member

If baby don’t finish then I’ll pour away alr. If not I scared will have bacteria growth

VIP Member

I won’t. You may use it for milk bathe. Otherwise, just throw it

Super Mum

Yea ok to keep and rewarm once for the next feed - I've done that

I wont. Usually will let her drink within 2 hours.

TapFluencer

Had done that coz didnt have much BM supply

TapFluencer

Discard after 1hour