Is breastfeeding worth it?

I just think post partum is hell and a lot tougher than the actual giving birth. And breastfeeding is the main cause of it. I mean not only it doesn't allow you to sleep, it causes you physical and mental pain. It feels like torture. I cannot wait for my baby to turn 6 months because I can finally stop bf. I really don't think there's much enjoyment to it. Like alright I like to see when my son is latching on to me but hey there are so many other ways to bond that doesn't cause my chest to hurt. I get sharp pain ever so often in my breast. It feels like someone is sticking needles into them. And then, the breast pads are so uncomfortable to wear outside. Why are they so scratchy? They ruin my mood instantly. Also my breast feels so tender most of the time that even a light touch feels uncomfortable. I also hate showering now because it hurts my breast. Even wrapping a towel over my body causes discomfort. Can someone just tell me if the antibodies in BM is worth all this agony? Can someone shed light scientifically if it is superior of all milk and helps with baby's immunity? Bf is a nightmare

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Oh, mama, I hear you. Postpartum can feel like navigating through a storm, especially with all the challenges breastfeeding can bring. It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed, exhausted, and even in pain during this time. But let's take a moment to talk about whether breastfeeding is worth it. First off, I want to reassure you that you're not alone in feeling this way. Many mothers struggle with the physical and emotional toll that breastfeeding can take. It's okay to feel frustrated and even resentful at times. Now, onto the science bit. Breast milk is truly amazing stuff. It's packed with antibodies, enzymes, and nutrients that are specifically tailored to meet your baby's needs. These antibodies help boost your baby's immune system, providing protection against infections and diseases. Breastfeeding has been linked to lower rates of respiratory infections, ear infections, allergies, and even obesity later in life. But I understand that knowing all this might not make the pain and discomfort magically disappear. It's important to prioritize your well-being too. If breastfeeding is causing you significant pain and distress, it's okay to seek help and explore other options. In the meantime, there are things you can do to make breastfeeding more comfortable. Have you tried using lanolin cream or gel pads to soothe your sore nipples? And those scratchy breast pads you mentioned – maybe try switching to a softer, more comfortable brand. As for the sharp pains, it might be worth consulting with a lactation consultant or healthcare provider to rule out any underlying issues like thrush or blocked ducts. Remember, bonding with your baby is about so much more than just breastfeeding. Snuggles, cuddles, skin-to-skin contact, talking, singing – all these are wonderful ways to connect with your little one. And if, despite your best efforts, breastfeeding still doesn't feel right for you, that's okay too. Fed is best, whether it's breast milk, formula, or a combination of both. Hang in there, mama. You're doing an amazing job, even on the toughest days. And if you ever need someone to talk to or vent to, we're here for you. Mama's Choice $18 voucher 👉🏻 https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

I personally pump because it’s said to lose weight faster (which it did for my case that made me wanna continue) so I endured the lack of sleep and constant mastitis. Initially when the breast is more sensitive, it’s painful but subsequently when it got used, it’s actually comfortable when I pump. Tbh, I didn’t really read too much about antibodies or what. My baby didn’t get sick in the period of my bf journey (but I think partly is because she doesn’t attend school). I feel that if you don’t enjoy the process or it’s taking a toll on your sanity, it’s fine to wean off anytime. End of the day, bm or fm, they all end up eating McDonald’s and it’s not like bm can cure disease or anything. Part and parcel of life, they fall sick to build up their own immune system.

Read more

I pump exclusively since my baby don't latch, and in all honesty, since my baby started ifc, he's been falling sick very frequently, so I honestly don't think having bm works all tt well for preventing sickness if he gets infected. Agree with the other mummy on the weight loss. I'm an oversupplier, so weight came off quickly. Gained 18kg during pregnancy, lost 21kg now. I'm using lansinoh breast pads, and they are very soft and comfy for me, perhaps u can try tt All things said, if breastfeeding is causing u so much unhappiness and stress, weaning off would be better. Fed is best,not breast is best.

Read more

I’ve been pumping more than latching! Only did once a week and then stopped at 4 months, only pumped exclusively. You can try to wear silver cups! So won’t rub against the bra or breast pads and no pain or discomfort. I use pigeon breast pads and it’s ok! I have friends who gave formula and it’s fine too if you want to stop! But I have friends who compare with those who drink BM VS FM and said they find that the BM ones tend to get sick less freq. If you can, can try my suggestions and see if it improves :) otherwise FM is also ok for your mental health!

Read more

Hi, i was exactly like you. I tried latching but my nipples felt so sore so I changed to exclusively pumping and even so, i felt like its a painful & lonely journey to bf. I stopped at 2months & my baby now have a happier mom that enjoys feeding her. Plus my breastmilk wasnt filling for my baby and kept her hungry & crying. Bf is worth it only the mummy is happy as well. More importantly your baby & husband deserve a happy mom! My baby had been on mixed feeding for 2mths & then strictly formula. She's also healthy & on 97-99 percentile!

Read more

Sometimes I think it’s moral kidnapping for women. And sometimes I think that for some women, it makes feel good about themselves, more like satisfying their self esteem. TBH, it’s all up to you whether the journey is worthy or not. I personally pumped for a year (we did mixed feeding) and I spent a lot of money on breastfeeding supplements. While I’m glad to provide for my child, I somehow feel like I’m doing it so that I’m qualified to be a mother. The mind rollercoaster is tough

Read more
TapFluencer

i really wanted to BF but unfortunately can only do so without our means