Baby finally refuses my breast and I feel very sad

It has been a tough breastfeeding journey for me. Due to me having a painful postpartum, I dont have a v good start to breastfeeding. Add on the fact that my family members and even the nanny is not supportive of my breastfeeding - like keep telling me to rest and not let me breastfeed, keep telling me it's okay if I can't breastfeed etc. In the end baby dislikes breastfeeding and so I pump instead and only breastfeed once in the morning when bb is drowsy. This is the routine every single day until finally two days ago, baby refuses my breast. He screams and cries when offered and so I have to bottle feed him which he happily takes. I tried again a few times in the day and it's the same. Two days in, and baby still screams when he is offered the breast. I think this is it. My breastfeeding is over. It feels like my only bond with baby is over. I am returning to work in 5 days time as well. This is making me so sad.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

sending over virtual hugs mama! my baby couldnt latch well at the start and I gave up on latching. made me feel very sad that I couldnt have that beautiful bond with my baby that everyone on social media talks about. my baby will also cry like mad when I offer her to latch whenever she is hungry. then one day, someone reminded me to keep trying, perhaps give baby the nipple 30mins before feeding time so baby is not impatient for milk. I tried, IT WORKED! so now that's how we do it. I will try to predict her feeding time and give her the nipple 30mins before she gets hungry. can try, I hope this might work for you!

Read more

I feel you. I latched my baby so infrequently that eventually, he refused my breast too. And I brought it upon myself coz it was difficult to get a good latch, so I kept feeding with the bottle whenever I failed to latch him, until he only recognizes the bottle, and like your LO, would scream and cry when I try to bf him. I comfort myself by telling myself tt at least I can pump and feed him bm, so he's still getting some. I hold my baby close to my breast when feeding him with a bottle just to feel closer to him. It'll be fine mama. Hugs.

Read more

Hi mummy, you're not alone! My baby is now 4 weeks old and he's been sleepy on breast since day 1. I came home postpartum feeling so overwhelmed as I was struggling with pumping too. Visited LC several times but only managed to get him to latch with the use of nipple shield and each time is a struggle which makes me want to give up. Just wanted to show some support and that we're all trying our best! Jia yous.

Read more

Well, it seems to me that things are coming into the right place at the right time. You’re going back to work soon so this might be a better arrangement. You can still pump and bottle feed. And there will be other activities to bond with your baby, such as co sleeping. “Grief” to bring peace to yourself and move into the new phase of life.

Read more
VIP Member

BIG HUGSSSS. I wished i know what to say to make u feel better but this sadness is valid and real! May i recommend BMSG for counselling services. Maybe they can suggest something or at least u have someone to talk to? I hope u get through this okay😕😭 https://breastfeeding.org.sg/counselling/

TapFluencer

🙏💕

👍

👍

👍