I think I might be coming down with the flu. Any recommendation on the type of medication I can take that would not affect breastfeeding?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Suggest you see a doctor if you are down with flu instead of self-medicate. Inform the doctor that you are on breastfeeding. If you are sick with flu, you will want to limit contact with your baby. You can ask someone else to bottle-feed your baby instead. If that is not possible, try to limit your baby's exposure to your gems by: *wash your hands with soap and water before touching or carrying the baby. *wear a mask *wash your breasts with mild soap and rinse thoroughly with warm water before feedings.

Read more

There are many natural remedies and over the counter products that are compatible with breastfeeding. You can try the following:- Rest. Drink lots of water and take hot baths. Run a humidifier. Take in extra vitamin C from foods, juices or in supplement form. Echinacea is generally recognized to be safe for nursing moms. Garlic eaten raw, cooked, or taken as a supplement can help. Raw is always best, though it’s hardest to get down.

Read more

You can take Zyrtec for flu. They do not cause drowsiness and is breastfeeding friendly. You can get them from the pharmacy at watsons or guardian.

VIP Member

Paracetamol without caffeine (i.e. Regular Panadol, but NOT Panadol extra or Panadol cold)