I need suggestions on getting my husband to be more involved in feeding my kids (with patience). Any ideas on how he can tackle this? My son hates veggies and does not open up to trying out new kinds of food.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You can try simply making dinner time "family time". The rule would be that everyone is to sit down and have the meal together. No phones, no gadgets. Try letting your son feed himself ("like a big boy", saying this may help encourage him to self feed) while you and the rest of the family also have your meals together. You can decide on the duration of the meal (30 to 45 minutes?) and whatever that is left on the table will be cleared away. In this case, everyone eats the same food (this will be interesting for your son as children love to model after their parents). If your son is picky and refuse to eat the vegetables, you will have to be firm and stick to the stated amount of time. After a few tries, it is likely he will start eating his meals properly. Of course, if he eats very little because of his pickiness, give him an additional milk session or some fruits after dinner to ensure that he is eating enough. Just a suggestion. Hope this will help get everyone involved and also get to have some family bonding time! One thing to note is that the two rules (no gadgets, and keeping to the stipulated duration) must be stated explicitly and clearly, and adhered to.

Read more
VIP Member

You could get your son to help out in making food. The easiest is to get a pizza base and let your son smear tomato or cream sauce on it and choose his own toppings. Try to include more vegetables cut into cute shapes with cookie cutters or dice them really finely. Children will be more open to eating their own creations. You'd be surprised. Another alternative is to get him to choose his own cutlery so your son will be more proactive in feeding himself. As for your husband, if he's very impatient when it comes to feeding your kids, perhaps it's better you take over and he does other chores.

Read more

I agree with Jamie, parents should be extra creative in feeding their children especially with veggies. I'm pretty sure that you husband loves to cook and so I do. I follow a blog by a lady chef who turns veggies into sumptuous meals. For example, she mixes her spaghetti sauce with squash or the other way is she makes noddles out of squash. There are plenty of tricks that we can see online.

Read more

Having vegetables is usually a killer for the kids. Anything that is green is a no no at 1st. You can start off by sharing the importance of vegetables, benefits, etc ... Example, you can say things like it will make you stronger and more beautiful. As for yr husband, if he doesn't have the patience, pls take over. Ask him to do other chores instead. It will benefit everyone.

Read more