I need some advice. I am currently unemployed and my husband is the only one working. I found out that I'm pregnant. This will be our first child so I am kind of financially worried as we do not know what to expect. Is monthly checkup and delivery really that expensive? Anybody can advise the approximate cost? Thanks.

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Get a referral letter from Polyclinic to KKH. You can’t choose a specific doctor once you’re at KKH otherwise it will be considered as “private” fees already. You may choose to forego your appts and only go for 1st checkup then save up until you’re about 20+ weeks for your Glucose Test and then save up again towards your due date appts in third trimester so that doc can advise you which type of delivery is suitable for you based on baby’s position in your womb. Seek a Social Worker for help while you’re at KKH cause appts can range from $50-$200 depending on the tests you’re doing especially when it involves ultrasound and blood tests. After birth, you’re entitled to claim $900 worth of pre-delivery appt fees so I Guess that’s not so bad. You may also want to choose a non-air con ward to save more. I mean hey, we’re just gonna be there for a couple of days so I think don’t need so atas plus it’s still covid period so people won’t be able to visit much. I’d rather be that way so my baby won’t risk getting infected by visitors. That’s my opinion if you are really financially tight. Otherwise you can play around with your finances throughout the whole 9 months of pregnancy until you deliver safely. Oh oh, don’t forget to take your multi-vitamins especially folic acid during the first 3 months at least. Then doc will prescribe you with a different type which you can easily buy from Carousell for a much cheaper price. As for baby & Mummy stuffs, don’t be shy and ask for hand-me-downs or any new ones cause some mothers just want to give away their baby & mummy stuffs without asking for a fee. Start doing research on what you need and not want. Sign up online on various brand websites for free samples for diapers etc. Good luck and don’t worry so much! ❤️

Read more
4y ago

You may want to check with the admin staff at your hospital.

It depends on which hospital you are going. If you are financially tight I advise you not to go private hospital as the charges will be much higher . If natural it will be much more cheaper and SGH or KK hospital are affordable . as for check up to can go KK government hospital are usually much more cheaper and they only need you to visit them once a month or 6 weeks depend on your situation. My i did in Thomson clinic and per visit is about $250-300. and its every 2 weeks at the beginning for 3 months which is really expensive . and subsequent 3-4 per time and at the back last trimester my wife visit once a week from week 35-37 which cost $200++ per visit as we couldn't"t sign up package as the clinic advise not to as they afraid my wife premature baby. but I heard people say KK is really cheap and good too so perhaps you can try it out .. Baby is a gift from God so don"t worry because Singapore do have good hospital and affordability charges as long as one got to work. Don't choose A class ward .. Perhaps B or C it still manageable if financially tight . government hospital do subsidize alot unlike private u had to pay one large sum before checking out .. All the best

Read more

Think if u r talking about the monthly visits to the obstetrician, on a tighter Budget, choose KK. After all, government hospital will likely be cheaper for consultations. Dun expect the world with what u paid though. I did mine at Thomson clinic. Every visit is approx $100 and signed 11 visit package after first tri for $600. Went for Oscar and detailed scan too but they are optional. Don't worry about the costs though. Having a child is a blessing. U will get by. Congratulations! :)

Read more

I'm now 39 weeks pregnant, unemployed throughout the whole pregnancy and my husband is the only one working. I'm seeing gynae @ kkh. Every month each visit I went: consultation + routine test is less than $50 after subsidy. If scanning(ultrasound) is requested, after subsidy it's less than $100. The highest amount I've paid so far was around $160+ (which include blood test for both husband & wife, ultrasound scanning, routine test plus consultation). Hope these Infos helps

Read more

Please go to the polyclinic to get a referral letter to the hospital to be under a subsidsed patient. Do note that you can't choose a doctor and the one helping you to deliver the baby is also not fixed. To me, so long they are medically trained, I'm fine. No matter what, there is always a consultant or a senior doctor around. You may also try getting help from the Medical Social Worker at the hospital. Rates at KKH for check up i think is less than $30

Read more

KKH will be a better choice for you but before you head down to the hospital, you need to get a letter from the polyclinic so that you can be considered a subsidized patient which makes your rates per visit to be lowered as compared to a private patient when you walked i straight away. Delivery cost you can use medisave and you may also be able to have some cash in hand thereafter refunded to you in cheque.

Read more

You can get a referral letter from polyclinic and become a subsidised patient either kkh or nuh. My friend said it is very affordable as it is $30 per visit forprenatal and delivery cost all claimable from medisave and she no need to fork out any cash.

Can go to KKH to see Medical Social Worker (in front of Mothercare) to get your bills subsidised for scans and pre natal vitamins & medications :) I claimed my bill through medisave and I did not fork out any cash for my bill :)

I'm now 37 weeks pregnant, unemployed and hubby just enlisted NS. Also financially worried as well! I'm seeing Phua Soo Mear at Kovan (he delivers at Mount A/TMC). Signed for his package at my 20th week at $695.

8y ago

Your gynae will charge the delivery fee together with your hospitalization bill after u delivered. The price u paying is only for the annetal package

VIP Member

Depends where you choose to deliver and if it's natural or c section. SGH is the cheapest for natural delivery