Cold stuff during pregnancy

can i eat ice cream/cold stuff during pregnancy? I've heard of mixed comments on this...thanks!

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would say, everything in moderation! Thus far (from what I’ve read), there had not been any study that found any relation between consuming cold stuff during pregnancy and negative impact on the baby. However, from the TCM point of view, having cold food is not beneficial to an individual’s body (to everyone, regardless of age or gender). Personally, I believe in simply keeping to a balanced diet and having everything in moderation. I have a friend who had cravings for ice cream during her pregnancy and would have some every other day. She gave birth to a healthy baby. One thing to note is that ice cream can still be high in fat and sugar content. So be sure not to overindulge. :)

Read more

I believe eating and drinking in moderation. No mater what you eat or drink, do it in moderation and things should work out fine. Avoid cooling stuffs from TCM point of view especially in the 1st 3 months of pregnancy. In pregnancy, functions of pregnant women’s body operate weaker than usual, especially digestive function. After eating ice cream and cold drinks, blood vessels in stomach and bowel will have spasm. Fluid in stomach will secrete and this thing makes digestive function reduce remarkably. It will create dyspepsia and diarrhea.

Read more

A friend told me no cold drinks better cos she did that and her son is super prone to cough/phlegm etc. But SG weather so hot lah. I cannot and must drink cold water 😅 it helps me better with my morning sickness better than warm drinks too. Watermelon I haven’t had them yet but will want eat when I see them. Except that I will avoid those cut already for some time cos heard watermelon absorbs the bacteria very fast once cut. Not sure about that though

Read more

I had ice cream for three times only. Have to keep it in my mouth until its not yoo cold to swallow. And only for a few licks. My husband is very attentive on what I eat and drink during pregnancy. I also stopped drinking tea immidiately when my doctor said its best not to drink tea. She gave me green light on other things to eat and drink but no tea, coffee, pineapple, durian.

Read more

I ate everything during my pregnancy. Also that one goes through such taste disorders that one day the thing you long for like crazy, the next time you feel pukish even mentioning the name of it. So, I think one must eat whatever you crave for. But yes, have it in moderation and that goes for even the people who are not pregnant. ;)

Read more

Of course you can. I've craved ice cream for a while now. I asked my midwife and so long as it's in moderation ( for health purposes as it is full of sugar) it's fine. I was asked to avoid ice cream from ice cream trucks as there could be a chance they don't clean their equipment as often as they should.

Read more

Try to avoid cooling stuff in the first trimester. After that gradually start increasing. Remember the rule is everything in moderation. For me personally I ate everything in my pregnancy, just take note of your sugar intake so to prevent gestational diabetes. :)

Scientifically, it is always safe to consume cold stuff/ice cream. Moderation is the key. It is okay to take them once in a while when the weather is too hot. I personally eat them frequently to curb the weather and baby is fine now.

It's OK to eat, cuz u can't stop ur cravings, but only to a certain limit. Just make sure that u don't make urself sick. Tc and enjoy

sure u can. but if u have gdm, please dont take ice cream frequently. about cold drinks, theres nothing to worried about.