6 week scan no heartbeat

Hi all, I did an abdominal scan at the gynae at what I believe was 6 weeks based on LMP but the scan measured the gestational sac as 5 weeks, doctor said there is a yolk sac but no heartbeat found so will have to return 2 weeks later for another scan. It's measuring one week behind and now I'm worried that this is a missed miscarriage. Doesn't help that I'm 39 and this is my first ever pregnancy after trying for 2 years. Is it normal to measure behind time and no heartbeat at 6 weeks scan?

6 week scan no heartbeat
15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

sometimes ovulation can occur slightly later even if you might have a regular monthly cycle. the ultrasound is actually quite on point in dating the gestational age. at this point you should be taking your folic acid (hospital usually prescribe 5mg) and if u have any spotting, you should be taking duphaston. if everything goes well, by wk 7-8 baby's heartbeat can be seen from the ultrasound already.

Read more
3y ago

thank you ❤, yes I have been on folic acid as prescribed by the gynae since week 4 and also been taking the progesterone suppositories. No spotting so far.