I am wondering why my wife keeps saying that being a stay at home mum is such hard work. I am not trolling here - but i frankly dont understand. Seems simple enough to me. I have taken care of my kids and home all weekend before and it's definitely no where as stressful as having a job. Our kid is 11 months and is formula fed. We live in a 4 rm flat.

75 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm not a SAHM but this is how i see it.. Being a SAHM is like having a job that has no stipulated "start work" or "end work" timing. No annual leave, no sick leave and no bonuses. There is no "break" from being a mother (or wife for that mater). "Family" is the top priority and every decision or thought is usually centred upon the husband, parents (in-laws and relatives included) and children. Things that may seemed trivia, like how much sleep, how much food, and even how much poop is of great concern to the mother. Even when a mother is able to take "time off" for some me-time, some would feel guilty (mummy's guilt) and could not really enjoy the "break". I would say the stress is different and is constant. Not sure if your wife is around during the weekends when you look after your baby.. but I'm hoping that you could better appreciate what your wife is going through. I personally applaud and admire all my mummy friends (be it SAHM or FTWM) as I could see the stress and struggles that they go through on a daily basis. It would definitely help to have an appreciative hubby. Like what Ling has suggested, try being a SAHD for a couple of days (without the help of your wife). If not, have a read at this article: http://www.daddyfishkins.com/apology-stay-at-home-moms/

Read more