How much savings do you need to be a SAHM?

I am considering to be a SAHM once baby arrives. But I am not too sure how much savings is required to be comfortable for at least a year. Any comments or inputs are welcome!

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I’m taking 1 year off currently, with 16 weeks ML and then NPL for the rest. I think it depends on what you mean by being comfortable. My husband and I cook on most days or buy food from coffeeshops that’re not too expensive, but with occasional treats. I make bulk purchases for most baby things and research thoroughly for the best deals, so as to save money. We have a car, but we don’t go out too much now (esp with the virus going around). Still there’s petrol and taxes, utility bills, insurance premiums (life x 2 adults, hospitalx 2 adults and 2 children, investment), daily expenses, etc to pay. In my case, if I include every single thing we buy or pay for in a year, $25k enough. We don’t use air con or go for hair/spa treatments/other fancy stuff. But if you want to include a holiday or restaurant meals or other comforts, you’ll need to adjust your required savings accordingly. When I go back to work, our savings and spending pattern may readjust again, but so far for the 5 months I’ve been home, we’ve been quite happy with our simple life with 2 kids (we’re both not working and taking of the kids full time for now).

Read more
VIP Member

You need to look at your current expenses and your cash flow / income. Determine the amount that you need for your expenses for a month (including parents’ allowance) and multiply by 12. That’s the minimum you need for now. Do note that your expenses will increase once your baby arrives so you need to factor that in too.

Read more

I would say I’m a partial SAHM as I’m a freelance tutor too. While my husband gives me allowance monthly, I also would like to supplement my own income. If you could do something freelance, then being a SAHM won’t be so bad financially 😃

VIP Member

Need to see how long you intend to stay at home for, as well as the expenses. For e.g. If you spend abt 0.5m of salary every month, then 6 months of salary saved can only last you for 3 months

VIP Member

Depends on your lifestyle and if you have insurance covering your delivery. I think 1k a month is a safe guide for a new baby

VIP Member

It really depends on what lifestyle you are willing to accept and if your hubby is financially ok with it.

VIP Member

At least 1 to 1.5 years salary...Also depends on what you would like to spend on your child(:

Living on savings is not advisable. Maybe find a part time or work from home kind of job.

TapFluencer

Everyone's expectation and living standard is different I need at least 1 year salary.

At least 30k in savings.