Does any SAHM worry that should you need to be back to workforce few years later, companies might not want to consider you due to being away from the working society and they will have doubts if you can adapt to the working life? I encountered comments from my ex-colleagues and hiring mangers previously when they are such candidates applied for the roles. I am currently a SAHM but one to two weekdays, my girl will be taken care by myself and on the rest of the day except weekends she will go to my MIL house as I will need to do mopping, cleaning/vacuum of bed, wash bedsheets and spending time on my online shop(she will scream or cried when I am away to do these housework and dangerous for her to walk ard while I mop). Being a SAHM allows me to better concentrate on playing and teaching my girl but I am starting to worry that I might have difficulty finding a job which I starts to see it happening now. Previously when I got to work, I only had 15 to 30 mins to spend with my girl and sometimes I was to tired to even talk to her. Even when I worked, money earned was not enough for me to hire a helper and we will end up with no savings. Much worst of than I am a SAHM. Any regrets on being a SAHM??

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have never regretted being a SAHM. At times i do share the same concerns as you as well. Then again, i try to look for something adhoc or even parttime or voluntary work in order to keep myself updated with society and also for my resume if i do decide to go back to work. Afterall, i cant predict the future. Thats my stance. So honestly, yes money is important and a need. However is it worth it to be throwing all your time, energy etc for a job. I shall not say career. If you have such a mindset, if i understand you right you are concerned about the kids more then the job. Being a SAHM is a job too, a paidless and yet rewarding job. You can have both at the same time, look for part time, adhoc, freelance or contract basis jobs. Even giving tuition. There must be some sacrifices made, slowly blend the side income/kids together. Even if it is full time, what about food, transport, after deduction of bills is there anything left to comfort you and your kid? I would ask myself is it worth it? To each its own, for me its not worth it. A job can always be found, my child once they grow the years pass, i cant change or turn back time. If you have anything else which is bothering you, ill be here to give you some support! Best wishes and blessings, my thoughts are with you.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for your comment!! You understand my situation well:) Yes don't feel worthwhile to work full time especially having to consider the tax to be paid in additional to the daily expenses in order to go to work. Especially at times when I see coworkers at work slack at lot while me got to clear their rubbish made me feel down.

No regrets. Money can be earned to buy anything, except one's youth. But not everyone is financially motivated to find a job. I know of friends who can well afford to be a SAHM but chose not to because of various reasons: desire to be self-sufficient, afraid of boredom, don't want their life to revolve around caring for the child, waste of education. My mum initially thought she had wasted her and dad's money sending me to school for me to "end up" as a SAHM. But luckily my Dad was very supportive. I'm of the opinion that since I gave birth to this child, I take full responsibility of bringing him/her up. Furthermore, being a first-time mum, I wanted to fully immerse myself in motherhood. Without the burden of responsibilities that come with an external job, I'm free to pursue my interests and share them with my child. Also when my hubby is bogged down with work, I'm still there to entertain the little one. It wouldn't be possible if both of us were working! Having said all this, my hats off to mums who can juggle work, home and family. I'm just not at that level.

Read more

I not regretted to be a SAHM cos I have more times to bonding with my kid, a teacher & play mate. Plus my kid is closer to me & my hubby. As my husband is a sole bread winner so mostly I cook almost everyday except on weekends. Even though we dining at food court or hawker centre. No helper manly everything we do house work ourselves. As for future when when Lo go to preschool you might consider part time jobs suit your timing.

Read more
8y ago

Wow you are a super mum! I am bad at cooking and can only cook baby food.

me! well I'm not a sahm yet, currently expecting but stopped working due to pregnancy.. worrying that I won't be able to find a job after and put a strain on husband :s