I am now 32 weeks pregnant and many people I meet (friends and family) ask me if they can touch my belly and feel the baby (some don't even ask!! they just touch the belly) I am very uncomfortable with some people doing this. How do you say no?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

When I was pregnant, I also had people touching my belly without asking beforehand. I was fine with it though. Since you are very uncomfortable, you could just be very blatant about it. "Sorry, please don't touch my bump. *smile*" A smile usually takes away the awkwardness. If you feel shy about telling them directly, this shirt helps you to put your message across in a humorous way. https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/228561001/i-charge-10-dollars-to-touch-my-belly?ref=market

Read more
Post reply image

People may feel your bump is so adorable and just can’t resist. If they are polite and ask you if they can touch your belly, and if you are uncomfortable to let them touch you can reply "I would prefer that you don't as I feel uneasy people touching my bump" and smile. If they touch your bump without your permission, you can tell them politely "I would have preferred that you asked first" and they will get the massage straight that it is not okay to touch your bump.

Read more

I guess just be upfront about it if it makes you uncomfortable; your personal boundaries do not suddenly disappear just because you have a baby bump. This author wrote a funny article about similar experiences and came up with 5 ways to discourage unauthorized bump encounters haha. http://www.whattoexpect.com/wom/pregnancy/5-ways-i-got-strangers-to-stop-touching-my-bump.aspx

Read more

If you are uncomfortable just telling them straight, can try putting your hands on your bump (to signal that you do not welcome their advances) or turn away as they approach you. Can even try reaching out to their tummies as they reach for yours. Perhaps, then, they will understand how uncomfortable it is for you.

Read more

You can politely say "My baby is sleeping now. Let us not disturb him/her" I think they will get the hint.

1y ago

urgh i have this co worker who asked 1 time just 1 damn time if she could touch my belly and think it’s a VIP pass to touching it as and when she likes now like excuse me sis?? maybe should try reaching out for hers whenever she tries to touch mine the next time haha

Sorry I'm feeling nauseous. If you touch my belly I may feel uncomfortable and puke on u.

so irritating la these ppl.. but if my case i will tell them why not u touch my hubby one.. same same big hahaha

1y ago

hahahaha ya.. dk what these ppl thinking..

Post reply image

thanks

"You can touch my belly if I can touch yours!"