I am an athiest while wife believes in god. Problem is when she wants our 4 yr boy to believe in God and Temples. Talking to her hasn't helped either. Poor child is being fed with unscientific and centuries old fictitious lies! What to do?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

When I was younger, I was exposed to Buddhism. Though my parents were not staunch Buddhists, we visit the temple and burn incense every day and observe religious rituals on the major festivals. As I grew up, I identify myself as a free-thinker and not a Buddhist. I have respect for all religious groups but did not choose to believe in any one in particular. My brother converted to become a Christian when he was in Poly. What I am saying is that I personally feel that there is no harm being exposed to any particular religion at a young age. Most religious teachings promote good values. Also, sometimes I think it helps that in times of stress or crisis, a person could still have someone to believe in. Your son will likely choose his own stand when he grows older since it is really a personal choice. However, if it really bothers you, speak to your wife and perhaps discuss how much exposure you would like your son to have?

Read more

Why not look at it in a positive way -- that your son is learning about the best of both worlds? Your son will grow up exposed to both the secular and scientific as well as God and religion. As he grows older and learns to make informed decisions, he can decide what he wants to believe in or not believe in. Even if you think religion is outdated and unscientific, there could be characteristics of religion that can be good for a child's development like the whole good versus evil paradigm. As your son grows older, regardless of whether he chooses to believe in religion or not, at least he will be well-informed in both the secular and the religious, which is always beneficial from a holistic knowledge point of view.

Read more

I come from a family with a strong Catholic background, and a long history of attending catholic schools (we've all been to CHIJ convents and boys schools here in Singapore). It's safe to say that while we had no other choice when we were younger about our religion, now that we're older and wiser, many of us have taken different stances regarding religion, and some of us even have converted to other religions. If there was one thing that we all agree on, was that we appreciated being given the choice, and the freedom to choose. I agree with Idza, you could think about it as giving him the best of both worlds! :)

Read more

Both of you are wrong, and right. You know neither of your thoughts are true, or she knows if her gods exists. It's all a myth, including science and souls, you're a speaking rock in the galaxy of stones. In short, don't force your thoughts. Share good things of science, and let her share good things from her world. After-all, it's about learning the good things, from heroes or villains. Let the kid judge on his own, and enjoy his own independence. Teach him humanity, nothing else matters. Hope I make sense.

Read more

Don’t trust anyone it’s sad when your wife is having love affairs with your best friend, i noticed my wife is get too much closer with my friend Peter, my wife chats now in private, her calls are in secret and she changed her phone password, I was wondering what going wrong, on till my sister introduced me to JOSE who help me to hack my wife phone a need to touch her phone, in less than 27 hours after her phone was finally hacked, her messages coming into my phone instantly. WWW . HACKERSPYVILLE . COM

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

I don't think it's a bad thing to teach your child about god and culture. I personally think that teaching them at a young age is alright and once they grow up they can make their own decisions on whether they want to follow or not follow the path your wife has chosen. However you should sit and talk to your wife about not forcing religion on them but instead just making them aware of it.

Read more

Personally, I feel that believing in God or any other spiritual beings isn't necessarily a bad thing. It teaches them to have faith, have great morals. As long as your child has the option to explore his own faith in the future, I think there's no problem in exposing him to religion.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3331)

thanks