Overly excited family members?

So I’ve got a sister in law who decided not to have a child when she’s married. Then she told my husband, in the future she will leave her assets to my child since she doesn’t have children. She’s been very excited about our unborn child and has been asking how am I etc whenever we meet. She would also make comments like she can help to take care of our child, or play with our child etc. Then my husband told me that maybe she can be our child god-ma since she’s not having her own. I felt uncomfortable because I don’t think my child need another “mom” other than me. If she decides not to have her child, that’s her choice. Why do I have to “share” my child with her? I bite my tongue because I don’t know if I’m being too sensitive? Maybe she’s just caring from a family member perspective. Anyone have similar experience and how should I deal with it?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Personally I am not comfortable with other people being my child god-mother too. Others can call me selfish, but I am not letting my child calling other people with the word “mom”. You should talk to your husband about this. Let him know you’re not comfortable with other people being the god mother and not to bring this suggestion to your sister in law. It’s nice seeing other people loving and doting on your child but I feel there should be a limit no matter what because they are not the biological parents.

Read more