My husband is very possessive. Earlier I used to like it but now I find it suffocating. He says he is being protective. I don't want to hurt him yet want to get rid of the suffocation. How do I handle this?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Well! Some Indian men do have this trait. And it has nothing to do with being possessive, it is the insecurity and their patriarchal behaviour. They do not want women to behave outside the picture that they have created of them. I doubt if you can change your husband much. If he is of the kinds who would listen to you and understand then you can tell him that every relationship needs little space and he needs to understand that. If he gets it well and good but if he doesn't then I think you should join some activity where you are engaged for sometime and are away from him. You can join a yoga class, dancing, singing, swimming or anything where you enjoy spending time. This will freshen you up mentally and would not feel you feel as suffocated as you do. It will be kind of a breather for you.

Read more