am I evil if I dont let my "dementia" FIL to stay with us in a 2 room rental flat?

my husband kept saying he scared that our oldest child will treat him the same way he treat his father if we don't let him stay with us. told him alot of times that with correct parenting of course we can avoid right?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You’re not evil for thinking of how you feel about the presence of people being in the same space/house as you. Yes, as children we may feel obliged to take care of our parents especially when they’re in need. However, you should also be prioritised on how you feel about anyone (be it MIL,FIL,BIL, aunty,uncle, etc) being in your space. As with any 2 room flat, space is a big issue. Perhaps you can discuss with your hubs how long will this arrangement last. Plus, i dont want to sound offensive but when people threaten others regarding ‘karma’, i just dont think thats right. Do whats best for the family. At the end of the day, will u be ok if it affects your marriage in the long run due to this? I dont think so. Always, always prioritise yourself & your children’s need & happiness. Dont be ashamed or scared to speak how you feel! ❤️

Read more

Being a caretaker for dementia is not easy. I don't think its fair to say that bad karma will fall upon whoever that doesn't want to look after them. Moreover you're staying in 2 room flat with kids. Its going to be quite tight 😕 Maybe can send to a care centre for time being?

Read more

If theres someone to look after your in law thn shouldnt be a problem right? 2 rooms with kids and in law would be a lil squeezy. If your in law is staying alone, best he stay with you cos afraid of something you didnt want to happen, happen.

Is there no one else to take care of your FIL? But that being said, what would you do if this is your own father or mother if there’s no one else to take care of him/her?

Super Mum

anyone to look after your fil? where would he be staying if he is not staying with you?