How do you respond when your little girl tells you all the kids at school are mean to her?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was bullied when I was younger - kids (I hate to say this) can be quite mean. I was always the tallest one in class and this made me the butt of a lot of jokes -- all the way till lower secondary. It didn't affect me as much in primary school but in my early teens, going through puberty and all, it affected me a lot. Mean girls would say things like, "you'll end up an old maid because you are too tall, no one will marry you." Looking back, it's a bit funny but it still hurts. I remember telling my mom about it and she'd tell me to ignore them and just concentrate on school. She also said that whatever doesn't kill me would make me stronger and till today, I live by those words. If it happened to my daughter one day, I'd tell her the same thing. I'll probably do something silly like sing that Taylor Swift song, "Shake it off" haha but I will definitely tell her that those haters are not worth her time or tears.

Read more
Post reply image

I would ask what they did and how she reacted. I think it would be good to understand if the other children are "just playing" or had malicious intent. If it were the former, I would teach the child to try and stand up for herself and tell the other children that she did not like being treated this way. If it is the latter, I would probably ask her to report to the teacher the next time it happens. On my end, I would speak to the teachers to get them to keep a lookout for such behaviour. I think if there are children in the school displaying "bullying" behaviour, that should be addressed and the best person to do it would be the teachers who can intervene when the incident happened. Hope this helps!

Read more

First of all, you need to identify the situation. What kind of things are all the girls saying to your child? Are they offensive, mean, or out of line or are they general run-of-the-mill teasings. If they are any of the former you should immediately contact the school as that kind of treatment is unacceptable at any age. If the latter is true talk to your child and reassure her that she is not what these girls say she is and that she should spend her time with people who make her feel good about herself.

Read more
VIP Member

This is such a good question. I always tell my girl to be polite but stand up for herself. There is no need to engage in physical violence and that she should confront her bullies and ask them to stop their actions. I also always assure her that I am here whenever she needs me but I much rather prefer that she try to solve this by herself. I feel that is a good way for her learn.

Read more

I would asked her what actually happened and what does she think causes it. They won't normally say the truth immediately and will only say the truth after a few sessions of questioning. Depending on the seriousness, i may ask her to inform the teachers accordingly. Hope this helps!

Read more

I would gently asked what had happened to her in school. Use dolls or figurines as it is less threatening and she can express better. Do not try to put words into her mouth but thanked her that she is speaking up. Talk to her Trs to find out more and for Sch to intervene.

Please check first if she is hurt physically, then using dolls, ask her to show you what happen earlier. Maybe can try to find out what she meant by ''being mean''? Here's a link that might be useful to you: https://sg.theasianparent.com/bully-proof-your-child

VIP Member

I am sorry mummy that you and your daughter are experiencing this. Must be tough to hear that other kids are being mean to your precious. I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to reach out and give you a virtual hug. :)

Super Mum

I would ask her what did her friends did to her. Since she mentioned all of them are mean to her.. I would want to know what exactly happen before raising this issue to the teacher (depending on the seriousness) .

Would be furious, then worried at first. But will try to understand better from my child before acting on anything. Will give her some time to share the details with me, instead of forcing it out from her.