How do we prepare porridge for a 9 month old? No teeth yet. Do we use the normal grains that we use to cook rice /porridge for ourselves? Or do we need to buy anything fanciful off the shelves meant for babies only? Do we need to puree porridge or sieve it etc? Gluey or watery? Anyone mixes brown rice grains into the porridge? Any brand in particular? Thanks!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Relax, there no need to consider so many things. Just use what u have at home and cook porridge - cook for a long time till like teochew porridge - usually abt 30min(if u got soak the rice for a few hrs before) to abt 1.5hr (not soaked). No need the fanciful stuff. U can give white or brown rice or mix - depends if ur baby is willing to eat

Read more
7y ago

Thanks a lot! Appreciate it :)

VIP Member

Autonate days i cook. White or Brown Rice. Slow cook the porridge. Usually i use fish or chicken. I will add broccoli , spinach or carrot. My dau is 10months. Till now she has tiny 2 little teeth. I dont stress about it. Because not every baby is the same. Take it easy. Dont stress yourself . Cheers

7y ago

thank you! yes indeed i am stressed... i have been giving her cereals and a variety of veggies n fruits but not fish/meat/porridge... i am so afraid i am doing it all wrong or not giving her what she requires. thanks for the encouragement.

Dun be surprise at the strength of their gums. They dun need teeth to eat most of the things. Have ur LO handle any more textured food? If yest... y can give in thicker texture. My LO skipped porridge n straight to rice at 7 mth when he was still toothless. End of 7 mth then pop 2 bottom teeth ...

7y ago

He is taking red rice n wild rice blend

VIP Member

for a start, you can start with normal rice grains. I would soak some rice overnight so during the next day when cooking, the rice will break down faster. I will boil the porridge with fish stock and add in some grated brocoli for color and taste, I use a Tanyu Claypot to do the porridge

Read more
7y ago

Thanks a lot!

For me, my 8month old can take soft rice with Spinach and carrots mashed. As I started him at 6months old. He has learned the art of eating. I make pasta with salmon too. Mash and serve.

7y ago

That is wonderful. I am quite slow in introducing my lo...

Don't worry dear about being slow No one is slow. We are all different and special in our own ways. So take your time. Most importantly enjoy the journey! =)

7y ago

thanks babe for ur encouragement ;)