Solids

At how many months old then I can start giving my son solids? And any recipe or tips? Thanks

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

6 months old is the minimum age before you can start offering any kind of solids - before that it should only be breast milk or formula :) Reason being, their gut and digestive system may not be fully developed or mature enough to be processing anything else before that - some people do offer their child solids before this, but I'd prefer to be safe than sorry (just in case)! In addition to that, you may also want to make sure that LO can sit steadily unsupported and show signs of eagerness in having solid foods before you offer anything - and start with simple items one at a time just to try things out and make sure there's no allergy! Each new food item should be tried for 3 days in a row just to be sure, before you move on to anything else/mixing ingredients together. As for recipes, no salt/seasoning/sugar etc until LO is 1 year old - they have their entire lives to be eating flavourful foods so you don't have to rush on that!

Read more
6y ago

Just to add, solids before 1yo is just "for fun"! The main source of nutrients is still breast milk/formula until LO is 1 year old :)