How to start solids & water with baby

Hi mummies, when you start giving water and solids to your baby once they hit 6 months or so, how do you introduce it and how much to give? How much water to give at one time or in a day? Do i still give in his milk bottle? And how much of solid (eg porridge) to give at one meal? And how many times a day/at what time and how to interval with his milk feeding? for porridge can use any rice grain? Same as what we eat as adult? What kind of food can i start introduce aside from porridge. Thanks alot mummies! - First time mum

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I chose Gerber organic oatmeal as my baby’s first solid food. Slowly introduce readymade puree from brands like Gerber, hipp and Heinz. I find it easier for allergy test as a bottle of puree can be served 2-3days. Then I introduce fresh fruits, cut in tiny pieces. I started with muscat grapes (sweet, seedless and the skin is easy to peel), then mandarins, dragonfruits, kiwi, banana and etc. When she’s 8 months old, I introduce almond and walnut butter, and egg yolk. I also bought food powders from brands like Lilo, Crystal Sea, Nanimom and Wen’s. I would mix oatmeal with eggyolk, avocado and chicken breast powder and formula milk in a meal. You can start off with a few spoons. And very soon you will get the idea how much can your baby eat. I spoon feed, not the trendy baby led weaning cause I truly enjoy feeding my baby 🤣 I use milk bottle for water. Will feed her after solid and playtime. She drinks about 60-100ml a day. My feeding schedule for my soon to be 9 month old girl: 8am 150fm 9am fruits 12pm 150fm 1pm fruits 4pm 150fm 7pm 150fm 8pm oatmeal 11pm 150fm Hope this helps!

Read more

I give a few sips after solids. No, give it in a cup or straw cup. I started with few teaspoons then table spoons. I will feed milk first then 30-45 mins later offer solids. Milk intake still the same. For rice, my family eats japonica so I used that. Alternatively, can just use normal rice grain. Fruits, noodles (eg kway teow, meesua, spaghetti), macaroni, veggies, fish and meats.

Read more