How long would you shake your baby (< 10months) in the sarong/ yao-lan, to encourage her to sleep?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I wouldn't use a yaolan as it is not safe for babies. It also makes the baby reliant on it. Without it, the baby has a harder time falling asleep. Do try cradling your baby and using a soft, rocking motion instead. Babies feel calmer when they are cuddled close to their parent's chest. My baby hates being carried in the cradle position normally, but when she's sleepy, cradling her works wonders. If you really need an answer specific to your question, then I would say until the baby falls asleep. There are automatic yaolans which do the shaking for you. http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/News/Pages/Sleep-Right-Sleep-Tight.aspx

Read more

Personally, I don't feel good giving my baby "Yao Lan" to sleep in. Yao lan, or sarong cradle, will cause injury to your baby by falling out of it if it breaks or not securely properly. Baby will suffocate if he sumps in it and is unable to turn especially for the babies who are 4 months or younger. He might get bleeding in the brain from bouncing though light bouncing will not cause the adverse effect. It also will be difficult to wean the baby off. Once baby is used to it, it may be difficult for you to settle a baby to sleep when you are outside.

Read more

I wouldn't recommend a yaolan to lull baby to sleep, heard too many horror stories about injuries and suffocation. If it is still something you'd consider, I agree with one of the contributors above, not more than 30 minutes and keep a close eye on baby. Personally I would use a baby rocker or one of those bouncing chairs. I feel more assured that baby is in a chair like rocker as opposed to being enclosed in a cloth hammock.

Read more
Post reply image

I personally not recommended. Shake the baby will interrupt the baby’s brains development. You can put the baby against you and gently rock the baby with your body not just your arms. The baby will feel more safe and secure that way. Also will sleep peacefully. When your baby sleep put the baby on their bed. No light, no sound, and no interruptions. You will have a happy baby not crying for carrying all the time.

Read more
VIP Member

I carry my 2 months old and rock her to sleep with a bit of bouncing motion (resembling a car ride) for about 10-15 mins everyday. At least next time we still can travel or go out when she needs a nap she just need me to be there. I'm her portable yaolan 😂

Just got the automatic motor, and they have white noise which helps even more. Kinda saves my nights esp when I've got twins... ;) I currently add in another 1-2 mins to make sure they're lull into sleep before I switch off the auto mode

a rocker does wonders on a baby. you should try using one. but baby should be well feed before been put to sleep 🤗my method

My doctor adviced not more than 30 mins at one shot.