How long does it takes for your lo to settle down in childcare? What do you do to help ease the situation? TIA!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My son took to childcare well too, he just started in Oct! I accompanied him on Day 1 and he cried real badly, always sticking to me and we had to leave at 12pm before nap time. On the 2nd day, the principal came and accompanied us - then she saw that my son was being clingy to me so she suggested that I let the teachers handle him and go for breakfast to take some rest. Little did I know, he was okay by himself and eventually slept there during nap time with the help of his teacher! Picked him up after his nap around 2.30pm. Day 3 onwards I no longer accompanied him in school - just brought him there, checked in with the school's app and then I left. He took about a week to get used to everything, then he was okay to go to school! We also realized that he really loves going to school, so much that 1) he doesn't want to stop for breakfast with his friends (he wants to go straight to class) and 2) he was kind of throwing playful tantrums when his grandparents went with us. So we made adjustments that I would be the only one sending him to school and picking him up to minimise morning tantrums, and we'd only go after 9am when all his friends finish their breakfast and head back to class! We missed a week or two of school so far because my son has been sick for a bit, but he LOVES school so much now that he'd grab his shoes and drag his backpack at 10pm to the door and fuss because he wanted to go to school 😅 To help your LO settle down in childcare, you can do a few things. #1 Prepare LO weeks beforehand by starting to drop statements like "you're gonna go to school in __ weeks, you can play with teachers, learn new things, make new friends there!" Basically, start building the anticipation and mental preparation for school - and adding comments to what LO would be doing in school. You can also get him prepped up when looking for things to start school, just simply by shopping for the things LO would need with him/her :) #2 LO should have visited the school several times before/during registration, if LO has not - then you can arrange with the principal to drop by and just let LO roam about and observe the place! It helps to see LO's reaction and get him accustomed to it. #3 Once childcare starts, you have to be focused and calm - they are able to sense if you're nervous, and that'll make them nervous too! On the first day, you can accompany LO to let him/her feel secured - encourage LO to play with his friends, and also try to let him build rapport with one of the teachers. It's easier for them once there's someone he/she trusts in childcare :) #4 Learn to let go. Trust in the teachers to look after LO, and learn to let your child explore things on his/her own - this means there's gonna be A LOT of tears happening, and probably days where you'd have to leave LO crying while you run away (and probably cry on your own) - but it helps LO to get comfortable with his/her teachers :) On day 2, I walked away feeling real empty and I cried on my way to have breakfast because my son grew up so quickly and he didn't need me anymore ... I guess I had more separation anxiety than he did! #5 NEVER, ever sneak away without reassuring LO. Yes, you should leave when it's time to let go - BUT you should always give LO a hug/kiss and ALWAYS reassure LO that you'd come back to pick him/her up! The first few days, you'd probably want to come pick LO up earlier just so LO can experience school but also be assured that you'd come - a good time would be after their nap and snack time. It'll also help if you give LO some cuddles/hugs on the way to school, and tell LO what he/she can do in school on that day (eg. "we're going to school now - you can play with your friends, have your snack and lunch, take a nap then play a little more and Mummy/Daddy will come to pick you up around ___!"). The key is to set a timing as it helps give LO an expectation of when you'd come (even if LO can't tell time)! It always helps to set a routine before dropping LO off - I carry him on the way to school, talk to him about school, set his expectations for the day right and I'd give him a hug and kiss before assuring that I'd pick him up by a certain time :) Then, I just hand him over to his teachers and I leave. #6 Build good rapport with the principal and teachers. Give them the trust and respect they need and deserve to do their jobs, be friendly and try to get to know them well - help in any way you can, and build a good relationship with them! After all, they're helping you to look after your LO :) When little things happen, work together with them to figure out why they happen and how to prevent it - never accuse them of not looking after your child or not treating LO well without proof! Remember that each teacher has more than a few LOs to look after so they can't always be there to help everyone. #7 Step back and watch LO grow! Once your LO starts being used to the routine, you'd slowly start seeing changes in his/her behaviour. My son started coming home, wanting to wash his hands on his own, taking off his shoes and putting them back where they belong, started eating on his own and there was even once he fell asleep in school without his pacifier or teachers hoaxing him! You'd also notice some things that you don't understand why it happens (eg. my son started lying on the floor a lot, which he never did) or you don't wish happening (eg. LO picked up a bad habit im school). But, always remember you can talk to his/her teachers/principal to understand more - seek first to understand then to be understood, never accuse them of anything before you understand why it happens - then work together to resolve it!

Read more

Mine 1st week was horrendous! Cry n i have to be there for the entire session. 2nd week was slightly beta. I could leave midway wif her crying for awhile n stop. But refuse to participate in activities. 3rd week was OK. Whine at drop offs but everything else was ok. I learned tat they needed time to adapt to new people n environment. I know parents feel heartache whenever they see their kids cry but it will eventually get better!

Read more

My kid took to school well immediately. I must be blessed :) keep talking to him and asking your child what he did at school. Try to associate positive moments with school.

It took me about a year. He screamed everyday and refused to get out of bed. It was such a traumatic experience