Potty Training

How will I start potty training properly?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply
VIP Member

You can't force it in the sense that you'll make your child sit on the potty even if he/she doesn't want to. I learned the hard way with my first child. We made her sit on the potty when she didn't want to and she bawled and cried and was traumatized after. She didn't ever want to sit on a potty after that. The best way is to make sitting on the potty fun and normal. Letting your child see you use the potty is one way to introduce it. Also, take cues from your child. If you see him/her look like they're concentrating on pooping, take them quickly to the potty and say, would you like to use the potty like mommy and daddy do? For peeing, constant asking helps and also keeping to a schedule. After drinking water, give your child an hour and ask, would you like to use the potty to pee? Ask frequently, watch closely. Give your child some diaper-free time as well, so they get used to not wearing one - and even experience the feeling of peeing or pooping in their pants, which they won't like. Just never make your child feel bad if there are accidents. Remember: what's important is that your child gives you cues that they're ready for the potty - such as being able to sit up and showing curiosity about the potty. Also make potty training fun. No shaming or blaming. Your child should feel comfortable about using one. Good luck, mama!

Magbasa pa

For us we started with poop since it's messier and has signs like when my daughter (2.5 years old then) made poopy faces, we'd put her on the toilet. (I prefer potty seat on adult toilet to kids' potty so there's less cleanup). The first time, I remember she had a panicked look on her face and kept saying "mama! poopoo! mama! poopoo!" --- I guess it was a super strange sensation for her to feel poop going out into thin air as opposed to getting warm in her diaper. I just reassured her and said "yes poopoo is coming out good job!" Eventually she got used to going in the toilet and found it strange to poo in her diaper; so that's how we potty trained her for number two. Peeing is a little harder but just takes patience; and if it doesn't work the first time around, pause for a few weeks or even months then try again. Karen Katz' "A Potty for Me" was my daughter's favorite book when we were potty training her. Also check out: https://ph.theasianparent.com/real-parents-share-their-best-potty-training-tips

Magbasa pa