How do I respond to people who pressure me to wean my toddler? My mother-in-law is pressuring me to stop breastfeeding my 19-month-old daughter. She says she's too old to nurse and breast milk isn't good for him now that she's over a year old. They also think she behaves too much like a baby and is too attached to me because I nurse her. But we are just not ready to give it up. What should I do?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

19 months is a baby! they all are, and she is yours :) i know it makes you feel sad, especially as breastfeeding times with your baby is so so special. and breastmilk is great for your baby, always, so don't worry about it..you're doing the right thing. i think your MIL is saying this coz she knows as your baby grows older, it will get difficult to wean. i bf-ed my first one till the age of 2, after which had to stop as i got severe cuts and infections. it was very difficult for me to see her begging for more while i couldn't feed. i suggest to avoid immense dependency, cut down the number of times you breastfeed so that your baby can wean off easily when the time comes. but it is only for you and your baby to decide when you want to stop feeding, don't let anyone make you feel pressured or bad about it. when it comes to being a mom, there's a lot you'll have to ignore from others, so start now :)

Read more