How helpful is baby Walker to teach baby how to walk? My daughter cannot stand though she tries to stand-up every time now, so I decided to get Walker for her.

Post image
11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Walkers are a never ending discussion. See advice from KKH: http://www.kkh.com.sg/HealthPedia/Pages/GrowingUpWalking.aspx "Baby walkers do not help babies to walk earlier. In fact, walkers may even delay your baby's movement skill development or discourage him from learning to walk on his own. Most walkers are designed such that babies are not able to see their feet while walking. This can slow down development of movement as they are unable to make mental connection that it is their legs and feet that are moving the walker. Walkers make it too easy for babies to move around. Babies who are in walkers tend to explore and satisfy their curiosity without developing their balance or walking skills. This may lead to slower development of balance and walking skills. Studies have shown that babies who spent 2 hours each day in the walker were more delayed in learning to walk than babies who did not use a walker."

Read more

How old is she? Generally, babies start to stand on their own around 8-10months. But some maybe later than others. There are many researches/articles showing that walker is harmful and accident-prone. Babies that use walker also missed 'crawling' skill, which later will affect muscles development as well as brain development. Here is an article about using walker: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x554838/should-i-buy-my-baby-a-baby-walker This is an article from physical therapist which also did not recommend walker: https://beyondbasicplay.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/baby-walkers-why-youll-never-see-a-physical-therapist-recommend-one/

Read more
8y ago

she's 8 months. well may be an hour or two a day won't affect her crawling ability or brain development as such. thanks for the article

There are mixed opinions on sitting walkers these days. In some states in the US, I read that such walkers are banned because they pose major risks both in terms of baby's development and safety. Instead of sitting walkers, it is recommended that parents use push walkers. That being said, alot of us grew up using sitting walkers and we turned out fine. I suppose as long as you're not dependent on walkers, it will be fine. Take time to naturally help baby walk by holding them up and helping them walk along. Also, never leave baby unattended if using walkers.

Read more
8y ago

that's more like an answer. well said #weallgrewup #unattended. thank you

If 8 month old, better a pushwalker to practice her. In my case since I'm a single mom, I introduced the walker to my twins when they were only 4 months old. Pushwalker when they reached their 7 month. And now that they are 9 months, they are cruising through bed or walls

I got my little one a walker when he was 7mths old. He started walking (unsupported) around 11.5mths. But i made sure the walker’s height was adjustable, to ensure his knees werent bended when he used the walker.

Not to learn walking but great to keep them safe and entertained. We had a huge exersaucer, they loved it.

VIP Member

I'm okay with walker but not too long. I feel that it helps my LO to walk better & faster

i don't think it helps to teach babies to walk. it kind delays it in my opinion.

7y ago

yeah. but for fun sometimes...

for fun it's okay. but don't put too long ba.

dont put too long