How do you teach your children about religion and faith when you and your husband belong to different religions?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Religion is something that one believes in so I will not pressurised kids who are still unable to understand fully on different religions to choose. You will have to discuss with your partner whose religion should your child follow. If there is no conclusion, I feel that it will be better if the child were to choose himself so that he will not grow a hatred on the religion chosen for them. My parents chose my religion and till now, I do not believe in any of it. I totally hate how they always say that you will not be "protected" or we will go to different places during our afterlife if you don't believe in this particular religion.

Read more

My partner will be converting to my faith but he is pretty much an atheist before even though he was baptized as a child. In general, religion is not a big deal in his family and country as a whole but it is in mine. We have decided that we will raise our child in my faith but also to teach him or her about religion from a sociological point of view. I wouldnt want religion to be just a cautionary and scary thing the way I was brought up (eg if you don't do this, you will end up in Hell). Religion, regardless of whichever, should be a positive guiding force in our lives not a scary cautionary bogey.

Read more

I myself am not very religious. Growing up, I was exposed to many different religions and it was up to me to decide if I wanted to follow any. I feel this is the best approach to let your child decide on the religion, if any, that they wish to follow. I don't feel that a religion should be pushed on someone to follow :)

Read more

I honestly feel that children shouldn't be pressurised or coaxed into following any particular religion. Their minds are impressionable and they are likely to get easily influenced. As a result, the choice of which religion to practise should be left to children once they grow up.

I think the first step is to discuss with your husband first. Maybe you could agree on a strategy that lets you both share your religious views and practices with your child until the age comes when your child can choose which religion to subscribe to.