How do you make reading to be less of a 'task' for kids, and more of a fun activity that they look forward to? My son thinks it's a chore- like studying yet another subject. I want to make sure he doesn't dread it.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You can do extension activities from the book. E.g. if your kid is reading on Blueberries for Sal, you can bake blueberries pie with him and he will find actually reading is a very lively thing. Also, do not force the kid to read if he doesn't want to. You can read to him instead. Sometimes my kids doesn't want to read by themselves and prefer me to read to them. Once the pick up the interest, they will automatically pick up a book and read themselves. The more you give them stress they will lost interest in reading.

Read more
VIP Member

Bring them to the library and let them choose their own books. There are so many genres and authors. If the book is about something they like, they will be more inclined to read and enjoy it. e..g. if your son likes dinosaurs, then you could bring him to the shelf at the library with books on dinosaurs.

Read more

The reading should be fun so that kid can enjoy the reading. Reading with fun activities understandable by the kids. So if you're saying about some hide story, you should use hide and seek game. That's it.

thanks