How do you deal with a teething baby during breastfeeding?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

All of us mums who've gone through this know that a teething baby's suckle can be painful on a tender nipple. And more often than not they need to be breastfed to be comforted. So the best solution to deal with situation is to give your little beanie something to gnaw before and after the feeds. You should also massage his gums with clean fingers before he latches on. And most importantly try to change your breastfeeding positions to ease any pain. Sometimes your baby might refuse the breast. Don't be dissuaded by that and keep pumping your milk, if that happens. All of these will together help ease the pain and make breastfeeding less painful for you.

Read more

Technically, if a baby is nursing properly, he/she is unable to bite the mother at the same time. This is because the tongue will be covering the bottom teeth/gum. That being said, a baby may still bite or would attempt to, especially when he/she is teething. To prevent getting bitten from your baby, you can try offering your baby a teething toy or something cold for him/her to bite on. You can also offer this before a feeding session to prevent him/her from biting at the start of the session.

Read more

I agree with Deepshikha. Usually you can use lanolin cream. It's the only safest cream that can be used on nipples and have your child breastfeeding at the same time. It helps with bruised and cracked nipples. As for the urge to chew, better to tire your child with a teether or something similar before a breastfeeding session.

Read more

When my baby bite me while nursing, i will gently unlatch and tell him/her that not bite and this will make mummy painful. Try to be consistent each time when baby bites so they can get the message: biting = no milk. http://sg.theasianparent.com/breastfeeding-teething-and-biting-babies/

VIP Member

hi, thats a tough one :D Give him something to gnaw on before and after feedings. A baby teether or ring, or a cold, wet washcloth can help relieve your little one's sore gums. Massage your baby's gums with a clean finger before he latches on.U can also use a nipple shield.

He said i don't know if I can GDP😈😈😈😈😈😈😈

thanks