First trimester

Hi all, how do you deal with zero appetite and nausea during first trimester? Is this normal? I am a first time mum in my 6th week. Advise needed! Thank you!

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The nausea and ms will increase gradually towards the 8w to 12w mark due to our progesterone level increasing. For me, I time my food intake to every 1hr15mins to avoid the hunger pangs which will lead to nausea. I wil eat small. Do keep in hand plain biscuits and apple green or red, and hydrate. They say ginger ale helps. Have to force intake of small foods at least k. It would be more painful to deal with acid reflux or gastric. If u really cannot keep food down and vomit alot, pls go seek treatment. All the best dear. Lil one is progressing well this way they say.

Read more
2y ago

thank you for your advice!

I had plain meiji biscuits for a couple of weeks with plain water or milo. sometimes I sip on 100 plus. it's v normal to feel this way. the most impt thing is to keep yourself hydrated and take your folic acid daily for your first trimester. I lost about 2 to 3kg during my first 2 months and it's normal cos u are only supposed to gain weight in 2nd trimester. if you've serious vomiting (HG) and cannot keep food or liquid down, then need to go to hospital and get IV drip. I still feel the same even tho I'm coming to 12 weeks again or rather, worse than my week 6 to 8.

Read more
2y ago

i feel the same! i thought close to 11 weeks would get better but im gagging more often than previously! try to eat many small meals and regularly

Hello! You're not alone. I totally understand the nausea and no appetite... The vomiting wasn't so bad for me but I JUST could not eat. I stop after 2-3 bites so I lost 5-6kg in the first tri. I just sustained on whatever I wanted to eat. Will vomit but just eat to feel happy 😂 I also took milo + oats in the mornings. My mom prepared some roasted rice tea for me and I took it almost daily to ensure that I had some nutrients in. Take care!

Read more

Hello mommy. I experienced that too esp in my 4-6th week of pregnancy. I changed my breakfast to eating crackers or biscuits such as skyflakes and ritz, they are very helpful. They made my stomach full for a short time, then I will eat again after 😅 Always drink water too! :) It’s really hard to eat, but you have to for the baby. You can do it! ❤️🙏🏻

Read more

same for me, i had a hard time with eating on top of morning sickness.. and it lasted till as late as week 20 before i finally slowly got my normal appetite back 😭 just try and eat what you can. i survive alot of milo, bread w butter, and apples. dont worry so much, just check in w the docs during your scan tt baby is growing ok then all's good! 👍🏻

Read more

Welcome to the club. Going through the same and I’m 7 weeks. Nibble of Meiji works best. I’m sucking on preserved orange peel too. My gynae prescribed some anti nausea meds which helped majorly.

Read more
2y ago

The nausea pills I used to cut them into half so I won't be drowsy but it does help manage the ms better

VIP Member

I had plain cream crackers when I feel nausea in the first tri. Drank clear juice like apple juice, ribena.. No choice. Just have to bear with it til 2nd tri.

VIP Member

u can try & find which kind of food is ok for u, shld b hav one or few is ok. Else u can drink replacement meal also! Which also hav nutrition ☺️

8 weeks and my favourite meal is this. I eat/drink whatever I can. Gynae says just take whatever I can take, even if it’s just Milo or water.

Post reply image

just be careful not to eat too many sweet stuff as it might lead to gestational diabetes. have a balance diet. drink plain ginger drink