How can I encourage my child to learn a mother tongue which we don't normally use at home!!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

By watching TV! I learnt to understand Mandarin when I was young through watching Channel 8 serials with my late grandmother. I'd read the English subtitles and translate them into Malay for my illiterate grandmother. I learnt Swedish by watching TV too. I wouldn't say it's the best way but you can use it as a supplementary method. When you're watching TV and listening to the words while reading subtitles, your brain really needs to process things faster and I think that helped me grasp words and pronunciation faster. Here in Sweden, my friends would do the same -- let their toddlers watch shows in English since it is not their first language.

Read more
VIP Member

Someone in the house have to use that mother tongue and communicate with that child often. Even if its a one way communication, continue with it. Try to get other family members to cooperate with you. Soon your child will get the hang of it. My son refuse to speak chinese at home despite all of us speaking chinese to him. He rather interact english with us. Which made us use english more often. Aft having a china teacher taking over his class, using no other lanugage but chinese to communicate, now my son is able to tell us about his day in chinese too!

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3934)

VIP Member

By listening to music. My mother learnt how to speak hindi by listening to Bollywood songs. :)