Nursing LO to sleep..

Hihi, anyone still nursing your toddler to sleep? My LO is coming to 18 months. Still not sleeping through the night and she wakes up, she will latch/ nurse to fall back to sleep. I'm one tired mama here. Any idea when will they wean and sleep through the night? Tips are most welcome!

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi I was in the same boat as you last month, baby was only 13 months but she kept biting me so I really couldn't take it. She was used to latching 2, 3 times at night too. It was really hard and stressful, I tried sleeping in a different room and let husband deal with her but failed a few times because she couldn't stop crying for an hour and I gave up and nursed her. I think there is really no other way than to just go through with it no matter what, and I know that is super difficult. But eventually one night I managed to put her back to sleep without nursing (after a lot of crying and screaming of course). Then the next night same thing but she slept a bit faster. After that each night got a bit easier, and after 2 weeks, my baby who never slept through the night in her life finally did it. Now she sleeps through every night without problem. Weaning is the only way and it really helped her sleep through, so even though it's hard and I kept feeling so guilty and useless, now I know it's good for her since she can have an uninterrupted, peaceful sleep. I hope it will work out for you too. All the best!

Read more
4y ago

Thanks so much for sharing Mummy! My LO cries and scream a lot when she doesn't get what she wants. Guess I really need to bite the bullet!

Super Mum

Actually, now your LO doesn’t need to feed during the night. She’s just latching for comfort. She will not wean it off by herself 😅 You need to stop letting her latch. She might kick up a fuss at first, but after a while, when she knows she’s not going to get to latch, she will stop asking, and she’ll actually sleep through the night. You can try bottle feeding in the interim, but at this age, they really don’t actually need to feed at night anymore. Since she’s older, you can tell her upfront that she does not get to latch at night anymore. It’s especially helpful if you sleep separately from her too, and she doesn’t get to see you the whole night. My husband helped to bottle my baby at night during the weaning period, then he took the opportunity to stop feeding her altogether when I was away on a work trip 😂. It was a happy ending for everyone.

Read more
4y ago

That's good to know! Probably will try out!

Why don't feed formula during nite time. Is fuller and baby will not wake up. My baby 18 months too. He don't wake up. Sleep thru morning. See if you are comfortable to try. Still can latch day time.

4y ago

Baby sleep too much during day time is it?

TapFluencer

usually end up sleeping with my lo next to me while nursing

4y ago

Same, but trying my best to let her sleep in her own cot.

TapFluencer

I have same issue! Now 13 months