Hi Mums and Dads! I have a worry that I really need advice w/. We recently moved frm Lipa Batangas back to Pasig&ofcourse that meant also moving my incoming nursery2 to a new school.(w/c is kind of late since we finalized the decision just this may) we found the best school that matches our preferences but they don't have nursery there,only kindergarten.so Atha has to skip N2 and K1(she's turning 5 this july). we had our child take the exam and she passed tho we were told that we really need to put work in helping her keep up with their lessons this school yr.i was pretty confident at first since Atha was an honor student in her previous school but then when we got her books earlier,i worried that she'll be overwhelmed.they have 4 math books(singapore math) and the class is12-4pm w/c is an hour&30mins longer than what she had before.Her comm skills are proficient(if i may say so myself as a former English instructor) but her and numbers are quite not in good terms.also,writing skill needs polishing.i'll appreciate it so much if you'll give me tips on this.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Hi Mommy! It's perfectly fine to worry about entering a new environment especially for your child. My daughter has Singapore Math subject too and just like you I was not aware of how it goes compared to her traditional Math subject in her playschool. So before she enters Grade 1 last school year, we opt for a Tutorial specializing in Singapore Math. We studied her books and we based the lesson according to the book. We did this for a month before the school has to start. And it was really effective since she did not have a hard time catching up with the curriculum of the new school. You can try that to your daughter as well. Look for a nearby tutorial school that offers reading & Singapore Math and inform the tutor that you want your child to have an introduction about the new Mathematics Method. While at home, you can also start practicing it as well. So you will know how to help her with her homeworks. Also, ask the school if they will be having seminars for Singapore Math. We have that in our school and it's a yearly event. That way, you will know how can both of you manage this new method. Good luck! :)

Magbasa pa

First, you do not have to worry about the new school hours timing in the new school as young kids' ability to adapt to new environment and schedule is very fast. As you mentioned the curriculum, you can find books that fit her ages. There are alot of curriculum available in the market for maths, e.g. Miquon, Rightstarts, and etc. You can use curriculum that suits your child's personality (e.g. is she prefer learn through play or repetitive works?). There are a lot of forum and platform for you to read up the reviews on the curriculum. E.g. http://homeschoolreviews.com/

Magbasa pa