Hi Mummies, my 14mo has been struck with runny nose twice since Dec. The first time, he fought it off in 2 weeks with rhiniramine med given by GP. Now, a week later after he recovered, he's got it again and has been taking the same medicine for almost a week. His mucus is thick and greenish. I've been using nasal aspirator to remove the mucus a few times a day too. Diet wise, he's on breastmilk, porridge, root veg purée and Healthy Times oat cereal. I've been feeling really guilty having to 'drug' him twice to thrice a day with rhiniramine as he would be knocked out within an hour of medication. Being western medicine, I understand that it's probably the fastest way to kill an illness. But looking at how things are, and now he's got it the second time round, the root has not been stamped out. I don't want his immunity to be weakened at such a young age and be more and more dependent on medicine. Is there any more natural path of recovery that mums here have tried and worked on your LO? Thank you.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sorry to hear that your 14 month old is down with a runny nose again! I can empathize because my little one was down with a runny nose recently as well. First off, I know as Mummies, we want to provide the best for our babies but in your LO's case, since it is greenish mucus, I think it might be best to heed the doctor's orders and give him the rhiniramine as prescribed. Please do not feel guilty in any way! With that said, one way we can BOOST our child's immunity is through their diet. It is great that you are giving him some root vegetable puree. Since he is 14 months, it might be a great time to introduce him to more vegetables, such as leafy vegetables and fruits. Some foods that I try to include in my LO's diet are berries (rich in antioxidants!), fish (rich in Omega-3 fatty acids), and a variety of fruits and vegetables that are rich in Vitamin C (citrus fruits such as oranges, kiwis). More examples can be found here: http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler/photo-gallery/immunity-boosting-foods-for-kids.aspx#05 Since he does have a runny nose, some LOs (mine!) might have a decrease in appetite, so do take it slow and try to gradually include these foods in his diet. In the long run, it will do him much good. Hang in there Mummy!

Read more

Runny nose (or coughing) is not an illness. It is actually a way to expel the bacteria/virus from our body. Normally in western medicine, it will supress the runny nose and it means it accumulate inside the body. You do not need to worry if runny nose doesn't come with a fever. During this period, you can let little one drink more water, eat more vege and fruits, rest as much as possible to let the body fights the enemies.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-768)

VIP Member

Agree with boosting his immunity through diet and continuing with medicine to cure his illness. Young children tend to fall sick very easily, don't feel guilty.

thanks