Kkh staffs are rude

Have you ever experienced hostile treatment from kkh nurses and their staffs? I don't know if it's because I'm under a subsidised route. Staffs are always harsh and impatient towards patients. Lactation support, like no support, scolded me when I was struggling to bf my newborn. She said do I still want to bf or not? It's my first time and quite traumatic experience for me. Is that why ppl go for private route?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I delivered in kkh via the private route. I felt like there’s no difference except that I’m paying a private rate and I get to see the same gynae every visit but that’s about it. Everything else felt like a subsidized route for me. If I had any medications, I also have to wait at the pharmacy like everyone else. Nearer to delivery, I also don’t have the privilege of privately contacting my gynae for help (unlike other private clinics where i heard we can directly call or message them if there was any issue) I had to just walk into the delivery suite and be charged for emergency rate. In between visits, I also couldn’t just walk-in for a consultation as and when I need help. Have to call thru kkh hotline (which they can take super long to answer) and then may not get the fastest and earliest appointment date đŸ„Č The shocking part for me was after I delivered, I was in so much pain I couldn’t get off the bed, couldnt sit too. The nurse wasn’t able to help me so I supported myself up from the bed and stood up. (My epidural was still wearing off) I had to get up to sit on the wheelchair which was an ordeal
 and the nurse told me in mandarin “don’t fall, i dont have the strength to carry you” đŸ«  I’m a ftm, I didn’t receive any lactation support. There wasn’t any lactation nurse or person who came to help or guide me with breastfeeding. I had to seek help from others or learn myself. I told myself if I ever have to give birth again, I’ll not go back to kkh. Such a nightmare. These are just some of the bad experience I faced. Not forgetting the bad experiences during delivery itself 😰

Read more
2mo ago

Yes!! Really nothing special, the only difference is the cost. 😓

it's a hit or miss in kkh, but it's private rates are so much more cheaper than the "real private" rates such as thomson etc. I got the A2 ward and the nurses there are so helpful. I was in pain when I breastfed my baby and he was screaming so much, I asked one nurse to help, then another nurse walked past, also stopped to help soothe my crying baby, one carried and patted him, the other was shushing and softly talking to him and my baby slept! This happened many times through the night and different nurses came and helped. Rather I had bad experiences with a nurse in another dept. I think I was about 8 months in, and baby was on the heavy side, and I had difficulty balancing and walking even breathing cuz I am small (was only 48kg at 8 months but bb was around 3+kg already so my belly bulged out so much i had difficulty balancing) so when I had to climb onto the bed I was very wobbly and took some time. the nurse when pressing on my tummy had to comment "actually you're not very big also what..." I was quite shocked as it was such an uninvited remark. also, even my mummy friends thought I was due already, and my tummy only became smaller when I lay flat on my back (I had an extremely flat tummy so my baby sank to the bottom) and she was pressing on it. She continued adding that she helped do tests on many different mummies and saw larger tummies etc mine considered normal. wtf?! I never even talked to her about anything. luckily I was supposed to sleep during the test so she shouldn't talk to me. if not I don't know if she would make me very angry if the one sided conversation continued. lol

Read more

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the KKH staff. It can be really tough to feel unsupported, especially during such a vulnerable time. It's important for new mothers to receive understanding and encouragement, especially when it comes to breastfeeding. If you're feeling like the nurses and staff are being rude or impatient, it's worth bringing this up with the hospital management. They should be made aware of any issues with their staff so they can address it and provide better support for other mothers in the future. As for lactation support, it's really unfortunate that you didn't receive the help and understanding you needed. Breastfeeding can be challenging, and it's important to have compassionate support during this time. Perhaps you could consider reaching out to a lactation consultant or joining a breastfeeding support group outside of the hospital to get the help you need. It's understandable that you might be considering a private route after such an experience, but it's worth exploring all your options before making a decision. There are public hospitals and healthcare providers that provide excellent care and support, so don't feel discouraged from seeking out the help you need. Remember, you deserve to be treated with kindness and respect, especially during this important time in your life. I hope things improve for you soon, and that you find the support you need. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

My experience with KKH has been very pleasant and I was treated very nicely when I was both a private and subsidized patient. When I was just entering my second trimester, I was down with covid and vomiting non stop, so I was admitted in KKH as a general subsidized patient. The nurse at the A&E came and check on me a few times when I was isolated from my hubby. She was reassuring me and explaining to me the process at each juncture before I was moved up to the ward (eg, waiting for doc to see me, then waiting for ward, waiting for porter etc). When I delivered at KKH, I was a private patient and I never experienced any rude nurses or doctors. Even when I was pushing, the nurse kept cheering me on too and telling me what to do step by step. Overall my experience was pleasant as both a subsidized and private patient. Even when some of the nurses looked quite cold at times, I didn’t really care cos I just wanted to sleep and rest. But we do note that during night shift, they are really short handed and only 1-2 nurses were there taking care of 2 private wards (1 whole level). So when I needed help to go to the bathroom after I delivered, my hubby had to go out to find the nurse.

Read more

I agree w you that the lactation nurse at kkh is not the most encouraging and supportive. I was a private pt and one of the Filipino nurse told me she'd called the lactation nurse to visit me, so she could explain more on how to massage and bf. The moment she came, she asked where is my bf brochure. Started to go through the material in a rush, skipped parts and kept saying "you know rite...if you dunno, can ask the ward nurse". She really wasn't sincere at all. She just wanted to leave, I could tell. I didn't say much because it was just a day after I delivered, I was alrdy so tired and in pain and the last thing I have energy for is to scold someone. I didn't even learn anything from her. In fact I could wait for her to leave too, because I was annoyed. In the end, I called the ward nurse to teach me and honestly the Filipino nurses are the best, most patient w me. They really helped and guided me w bf. Honestly I'm disappointed w the lactation nurse at kkh. what a lousy attitude!

Read more
2mo ago

In fact I couldn't* wait

VIP Member

Hahahah kkh is a weirdly by luck. Sometimes i get really good nurses and allied health attending to me during labour n stay, but during subsidized check up omg even the random gynaes are painful to go through haha. Or the MOs. Idk why but Medical Officers are just urgh🙄🙄 Anyways do try to speak back as much as u can. Sometimes in the moment i also no guts or focus to protect myself or nudge the person to be kinder. But after awhile u will learn the patterns there. Idk man Kkh really need to buck up. I always feedback after each visit and put the name accordingly for both compliments or complaints.

Read more

I was a private patient from KKH. so far during all the checkup and admission experience was ok. The nurses and drs are quite friendly and patient while explaining the process. I didn't have any lactation nurse comes and brief me on bf. It's the ward nurse that did it. She showed me how to do the massage, 2 different types of position, and assist for the very 1st latch on. Every morning one of the nurse will check the breast condition while serving medication. I guess it also depends on which team of nurses you met.

Read more

So far my experiences are good at kkh, except this Indian nurse that came to teach me how to bf. She was rough n I tot she was a LC but turned out just a senior nurse. I felt violated and she kept saying need to massage n press ur boobs. Other than that, all is good. there is a survey to be done after every visit. You can put down ur concerns and disappointment there.

Read more

Yeap agree. I experienced the same thing. While I was in labour and in pain one of the nurses scolded me because I was crying loudly in pain. Then when I already gave birth and transferred to normal ward they forced me to breastfeed, they even pressed my breast so hard and they forced and pushed my newborn’s mouth to my breast until my baby cried. Very bad service.

Read more

oof gurllll. i was like that for my first-born in NUH instead. had KKH cuz nearer to home now and it was a 360 positive change. so far i'm happy and pleased from my first appt and awaiting labour soon. would it possibly be the ward you are at? my sister had a higher class ward for her #2 and was treated better than she had for her first-born.

Read more