gestational diabetes

Hi has anyone got gestational diabetes before? How do you control it.

97 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I am a type 2 diabetic so my obgyn treats me like I have GD and yes, I do insulin shots daily. A balanced diet of the correct portioning and 20 minutes of walking/exercise after meals goes a very long way. I cut down the portion of rice, say approximately 12 spoons of it. I mix white and brown rice. More protein and vegetables. Fish like salmon really lowers your blood sugar levels. Everything I eat are mostly low fat or wholemeal. Salads are good but be mindful of the dressing you use. Clear watery soups are good too. I do drink maternity milk, I cut the number of scoops into half. But i avoid sugary drinks at all costs unless my blood sugars had dropped and I am beginning to start shaking. I do not drink Milo, though. So water is my main drink. Fruits like apples, help release glucose slowly. And again, not all fruits we can have luxuriously. 2 portions a day and only the size of your fist. I take apples because it is the easiest and no brainer. Better yet, breakdown your meals into smaller meals with wholemeal biscuits. (I.E, eat every 2-3 hours to ensure that your baby is fed too) I got to admit that a lot of it is trial and error because our body reacts differently to different things that we eat. Like i will eat fried chicken but not it’s skin. I will also have a mini magnum ice-cream and my blood sugar doesn’t hit the roof. But don’t try sinful things every day. Bottom line, you also should be able to explain to your doctor if the blood sugars go up.

Read more
VIP Member

Cutting down carbs and sugar. Don't even touch those sugar-free foods (my glucometer told me sugar-free is a lie lol) Exercise regularly at least 30 mins a day. Make sure you sweat but don't push yourself too much (we're building a baby inside!) I avoided white rice at all cost. Had soupy food (home-cooked). Craving for sweet stuffs? Have half of an apple. Lost 4kg in 2 weeks time after diagnosed. Had 30 mins cardio workout suitable for pregnancy 6 days a week (videos can be found on YouTube for pregnancy cardio, it's foc and make sure you sweat) Latest blood sugar tested when just woke up was 5.3mmol. Hoping for the best that my gynae won't give me insulin injection!

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, I am. Start off with diet control. I prepare my lunch to work every morning and also prepare my dinner after come back to work. Outside food sometimes contains sugar which we may not knowing. Quinoa rice works pretty well for me to substitute white rice. You may check out diabetic exchange list on the Internet to get an idea of food portion and its carbo content for your reference :) Everytime I have new food, I will do blood sugar test 2 hours after food to make sure the food doesn't spike my sugar level so that I can consume again next time.

Read more

My results was normal. I didn't drink much plain water due to morning sickness. Mostly was 100 plus and some other sugary drinks. This is what I did 2 weeks before OGTT test. Breakfast: guava, apple and overnight oats (rolled oats) Lunch: fish soup with Bee hoon or yong tuo foo soup with Bee hoon Inbetween if I am hungry I munch chocolates.. Dinner: rice (small portion)with the dishes cooked at home Supper: one glass of fresh milk Maybe u can try this to control.

Read more

Hi, I have it too. Eat more vege and meat when u are hungry. Try to avoid carbohydrates as much as possible. Eat low GI bread if u are hungry if u really need carbohydrates. It helps. Try to walk for 20mins after every meal. Keep yourself active. My gynae allowed me to stop monitoring sugar level after 3 weeks of diet control. I haven't even start any insulin or medication for it. Purely diet control. Continue diet control till give birth. U can do it too😊

Read more

I also have GDM , I m 25week pregnant, so I have to follow strict sugar free diet, so I started eating jowar roti instead of wheat roti, I add only mishri in place of sugar in tea sometimes, n doing household chores as its lockdown ,as we have limited excess to go out and little bit of physical activity is must in pregnancy. These things have controlled my sugar level so I need not have to take any additional medicine

Read more
VIP Member

Cut down on carbs, eat low GI stuff.. can eat more proteins & veggies and non-sweet fruits. I had GD and low foetal weight so gynae told me to eat more proteins lol but it was hard as i craved carbs & sugar so badly. Can google to see what type of foods you can have, like fresh milk (not low fat), greek yoghurt, veggies, proteins, fruits like avocado, guava..low GI carbs are like multigrain bread, brown rice....

Read more

Me! I take care of my diet. Buy low GI rice like basmati. Drink low fat milk every morning. Eat more veggies. Avoid juice coz it will spike blood sugar. I follow what my dietician ask for. And i lost some weight. Which is good. As long baby is growing fine and healthy. U can buy this bread. Or if u dont like milk, u can try no sugar soya bean WITH Calcium plus omega.

Read more
Post reply image

Control diet. No white rice; replace with brown rice. No fried food. Avoid outside food. No bubble tea. No outside fruit juice. Dun eat too much excess food. There is sugar in fruits too; no durians ok👌🏻 Melon seeds is like a hack to my gestational diabetes. If i eat outside food, i will eat melon seeds as dessert. My sugar will go down alot. Dunno if it works for anyone else. U can try 👍🏻

Read more
3y ago

Hi its this brand i ate 😁

Post reply image

Its ok to eat white rice as long as gamit ka cup para sukatin ung rice mo sa 1st baby ko gestetional din ako ngaun pregnant ako sa 2nd baby namin ganun pa din pero control nmn na ung sugar level ko 4time a day ako ng sugar test so far hndi nmn sya mataas more veggies, fish little meat basta healty food basta iwas muna sa lahat ng matamis lalo na soda drinks more water😊

Read more