gestational diabetes

Hi has anyone got gestational diabetes before? How do you control it.

97 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I am a type 2 diabetic so my obgyn treats me like I have GD and yes, I do insulin shots daily. A balanced diet of the correct portioning and 20 minutes of walking/exercise after meals goes a very long way. I cut down the portion of rice, say approximately 12 spoons of it. I mix white and brown rice. More protein and vegetables. Fish like salmon really lowers your blood sugar levels. Everything I eat are mostly low fat or wholemeal. Salads are good but be mindful of the dressing you use. Clear watery soups are good too. I do drink maternity milk, I cut the number of scoops into half. But i avoid sugary drinks at all costs unless my blood sugars had dropped and I am beginning to start shaking. I do not drink Milo, though. So water is my main drink. Fruits like apples, help release glucose slowly. And again, not all fruits we can have luxuriously. 2 portions a day and only the size of your fist. I take apples because it is the easiest and no brainer. Better yet, breakdown your meals into smaller meals with wholemeal biscuits. (I.E, eat every 2-3 hours to ensure that your baby is fed too) I got to admit that a lot of it is trial and error because our body reacts differently to different things that we eat. Like i will eat fried chicken but not it’s skin. I will also have a mini magnum ice-cream and my blood sugar doesn’t hit the roof. But don’t try sinful things every day. Bottom line, you also should be able to explain to your doctor if the blood sugars go up.

Read more