My girl is running on off fever and we seen a doc. Doc say theres ulcers in her upper mouth but no other hfmd symptoms. Could be viral infection. She has been drinking so much lesser today and doc worry dehydration so gave us glucose syrup to feed her. But she doesn't take bottle, i tried straw also rejected, spoon feed she spit out, syringe feed she took in but cry like mad and the vol is abt 50 to 60ml. It will take a long time for me to syringe feed her. Is there any other way around it? Doc told us to stop her milk intake as she has lots of stomach wind and stomach upset too. Told us to give this glucose every 2 hrs for the next 6 hrs. Really headache.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Jiayou mummy. Its a tedious process and I think u Shld continue to try to persist in it. Look out for dehydration signs. My boy had a lot of ulcers in mouth and then it was hfmd. Just keep a look out if it progresses or show signs of hfmd. He also can't drink. We were given the choice at Kk to give him drip at the hand or put a tube through nose into stomach (can pour milk in). It was definitely a painful process and they will cry like mad because they hungry but can't drink the normal way. Persist in what u are doing, but if u can't handle or don't improve in 1-2 days time I suggest go Kk. But that is what they will do at Kk. Btw, put the gel for the ulcer. Kk puts the teething gel at the ulcer to numb the pain maybe 5-10 min before feed then we try to bottle feed, if fail then tube feed. Get well soon LO

Read more
8y ago

oh dear..yes my lo is in the ifc...i really hope it is not hfmd..as now having ulcers already so bad...i cant imagine the pain u have to go thru mommy.. its a real challenge....now im at my wits end shes even rejecting bottle....hope she take bottle back soon...

How old is your daughter? Like adults, when we have ulcer, it gets quite painful to swallow. What you can do is to give her some chilled drinks and feed in smaller quantities many times throughout the day. You can also freeze ice cubes for her to suck or make popsicles (puree fruits and freeze). If she is ok to eat, you can give her watery porridge, yoghurt, soup or anything softer in texture like pureed fruits too.

Read more
8y ago

Try to make less formula (to prevent wastage) and feed her more times a day. Use a syringe if that's the only way to go. Try to preserver a few more days because she will recover in no time. Meanwhile, did your doctor prescribe you any spray or gel to numb her ulcers? If he didnt, maybe you can give him a quick call and ask if she can use it. If you find your daughter not urinating or her diaper have crystals, pls bring her to the doctor immediately as she is dehydrated and needs to be put on