G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase)

My first born have G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) Anyone who have same case or knows anybody with situation as mine? How do you cope up? Feeling devastated about it. Done with my research. It was seen through his Newborn screening and still positive result with her confirmatory test. Need some help here :(

2 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Hello. I am sorry to hear that. G6PD deficiency can sound alarming, however, the bottom line is, your child can have a normal healthy life. As you might have read, G6PD protects the red cells against damage. With a deficiency of G6PD, the red cells are susceptible to damage due to infections, some medicines, some ingredients in the food, among a few other things. Luckily, all these could be avoided/treated. And removal of the cause can correct the damage, as new red cells are formed each day. That means a lot of vigilance on your part. However, my professor of internal medicine once said, " if you were to inherit any genetic condition, the best choice would be G6PD deficiency as it gives you a chance of a normal life". I hope I am not being insensitive here. Merely trying to point out that you should not be disheartened. We are here to help you, ask us any questions you have.

Magbasa pa
6y ago

and may i ask for some tips that u can give me or special routine you imply with your son? thanks

ako po. but pinatest ulet nmn sya